Skip to main content

Veteran Education Benefits

Veterans’ Education Benefits (VEB) may be available to students who are meeting at least one of the following requirements:

  • Actively serving in the military
  • Serving in the Reserves or National Guard
  • Dependents of veterans
  • Dependents of disabled or deceased veterans 

While the student may meet specific criteria, only the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can determine who qualifies for benefits. To apply visit About GI Bill Benefits.

The VA also requires that students meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to receive benefits.

There are several chapters of Veterans’ Education Benefits:

  • Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
  • Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve
  • Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty 

For more information about each VA Chapter, please visit the GI Bill website

Certificate of Eligibility

  • Students must apply online through the VA website to receive their Certificate of Eligibility. Approximately 8 weeks after they apply, students will receive their certificate in the mail.
  • The first page of the certificate must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office before a student can have their classes reported to the VA for payment – students can either submit a hard copy or a scanned image through email at

VEB Class Certification Form

  • Students must submit the Class Certification Form for each semester they wish to receive their benefits. This form should only be submitted after registering for classes for the semester in question.

    If you have questions, BYU-Idaho’s VEB Specialists are available via email, and appointments are available upon request.

    Phone: 208.496.1609 | Fax: 208.496.6711 | Email:

Transfer Students

It is important to verify that your declared major, minor, and/or cluster(s) are listed on your official BYU-Idaho degree audit. Only courses that count towards graduation are reported to the VA. Students can find their degree audit on the “Student” tab at We recommend students meet with an academic advisor if they are unsure which courses count towards graduation requirements.

Contacting Veteran Affairs

If you have questions about specific payments, please contact the VA Regional Processing Office at (888) 442-4551.

See below for available options to report grievances to the VA:

GI Bill® School Feedback Tool | Veterans Affairs ( | Veteran Affairs

Idaho State Approving Agency
Idaho Division of Veterans Service
351 Collins Road
Boise, Idaho 83702

Veterans’ Education Benefit funds are not affiliated with or controlled by BYU-Idaho.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.