Skip to main content


Petitions and requests for the adjustment of financial aid awards need to be conducted under the recommendation and consultation of a financial aid counselor. Students should contact the financial aid office with any questions or concerns regarding the procedures of these requests.

Unusual Circumstances Petitions

Unusual circumstances do not include:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education.
  • Parents will not provide information for the FAFSA or verification.
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • The student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.

Independent Status Petitions

This petition can be completed when unusual circumstances prevent a student from contacting their parents or contacting them would pose a risk to the student.

Examples of unusual circumstances:

  • Student leaves home due to an abusive or threatening environment.
  • Student has been abandoned or estranged from their parents.
  • Student has refugee or asylee status and are separated from their parents, or their parents are displaced in a foreign country.
  • Student is a victim of human trafficking.
  • Student or their parents are incarcerated and contact with their parents poses a risk to the student.
  • Student is otherwise unable to contact or locate their parents.

Unaccompanied Youth and Homelessness Petitions

At any time on or after July 1, 2023 was the student unaccompanied and either 1. Homeless or 2. Self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

If yes, did any of the following provide a determination for the student?

  • Director or designee of an emergency or transitional shelter, street outreach program, homeless youth drop-in center or other program serving those experiencing homelessness
  • A high school or school district homeless liaison or designee
  • Director or designee of a project supported by a federal TRIO or GEAR UP program grant
  • Financial Aid administrator

Dependent Unsubsidized Loan Only Petition

This petition can be completed when a student’s parents are unwilling to provide their information on the FAFSA, but the student doesn’t have one of the above unusual circumstances that prevent them from contacting their parents or obtaining their information.

Dependent students whose parents refuse to support them but are not eligible for a dependency override can also complete this petition.

To be eligible students must document that their parents refuse to complete the FAFSA or that their parents do not and will not provide any financial support to the student (include the date support ended). 

Special Circumstance Petitions

  • If the information submitted on the FAFSA is not an accurate reflection of a student and/or their parent’s income and financial situation, they may qualify for this petition to have FAFSA information updated to their current situation.
  • If a student experiences unusually high costs related to their major, the purchase of a computer, or other extenuating family situations, they may be eligible to receive additional loan funds to help with these expenses.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Petition

Students who are not meeting the minimum financial aid academic standards may be allowed to petition their SAP status and regain federal aid eligibility.

Satisfactory Academic Progress