Skip to main content

Bureau of Indian Affairs


To be eligible for educational benefits through the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), you must:

  • Be at least ¼ American Indian
  • Be registered with a tribe that has a treaty with the U.S. Government and an assigned census number
  • Meet all other criteria as required by your individual tribe


Students who are eligible to receive BIA benefits while attending BYU-Idaho need to complete the following steps:

  1. Submit a  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year.
  2. Contact your tribal agency office and request, complete, and submit the following: 
    1. An application for education benefits
    2. A privacy release form
    3. Any other required documentation as required by your individual tribe
  3. Submit the completed privacy release form to the BYU-Idaho financial aid office, allowing us to disclose your financial aid information to your tribe.
  4. At the end of the semester, submit a copy of your final grades to your tribal office.

Important Information

Policies regarding BIA benefits are not managed or controlled by BYU-Idaho. For more information regarding BIA educational benefits, please contact your tribal agency.