You need to know:

What is a program applicable course?

Students will only receive federal financial aid for courses required for their declared Program.

A Program is a student's declared major in an eligible catalog year, along with all other required components (emphasis, minor, cluster).

If a major requires an emphasis, minor or cluster, courses filling those requirements will be eligible for federal aid.

If a major does not require an emphasis, minor, or cluster, courses taken to complete those components will not be eligible for federal aid unless they can fill elective requirements.

Are you in the right Program?

You must have your Program officially declared for the Winter 2020 semester before 11:59 pm MST on December 31, 2019.

Your program on record at 11:59 pm MST on December 31, 2019, will determine which courses are program applicable for the entire semester.

A student can change their Program during the semester, but that new Program will not affect the disbursement of federal aid until the next semester.

Example: If your official Program on December 31, 2019, is Biology, then only courses required for Biology would be program applicable and receive federal financial aid for that semester. If you change your Program to English after this time, courses required for English would not be program applicable until the next semester, which could result in a loss of federal financial aid for the upcoming semester.

Why program applicability?

Pell Grants and federal student loans are funded by federal tax dollars for college students who complete the FAFSA and who have financial need. Federal regulations require that these funds are used only for courses that are required for graduation.

These federal requirements are designed to help students:

  • Stay focused on finishing their degree
  • Use tax dollars wisely
  • Graduate faster
  • Lower the cost of their overall education

Please note that the program applicability requirements only apply to those students who are eligible to receive U.S. federal financial aid (Pell grant and/or federal student loans).