The Basics of a Résumé
A résumé is a sample of your writing skills and should represent your best work. Thus, it should be professional: clear, concise, consistent, error-free, and up-to-date. You can have your resume quickly reviewed by going to the career networking center or sign up for a full appointment via Tutortrac.
The following guidelines are meant to assist you in presenting yourself professionally to potential employers and/or experience providers and to help you show them how you meet their needs.Many different ideas exist on the proper procedure and style for creating a résumé. Some people insist on one thing, some on another.So who's right? Your audience.Though the style you use and the information you include in a résumé is ultimately yours, the most important thing you can do, in all phases of the job search, is to know the needs of your audience and tailor your résumé accordingly.
- To learn more about how to research your audience, utilize the Know Your Audience (KYA) Guide.
- To understand the process of tailoring your résumé and cover letter to your audience, read the Tailoring Your Cover Letter and Résumé.
- For help in starting from scratch, utilize Optimal Résumé.
- Résumé Writing Seminar - Christopher Galbraith (1 hour video)
- Accounting Résumé - Tyler Warner
- Business (Finance - Wall Street Style) Résumé Sample 2 - Stephanie Benchley
- Business (Marketing) Résumé - 15 Years of Professional Experience - Jared J. Hanes
- Business (Supply Chain) Résumé - Jordan Ricks
- Child Development (Early Childhood) Résumé - Miya Stucki
- Communication (Broadcast Journalism) Résumé - Sunny Russell
- Communication (Organizational Comm) Résumé - Joshua Burt
- Computer Information Technology Résumé - Michael Zaycheck
- Construction Management Résumé - Tyler D. Card (Alumni)
- Construction Management Résumé - Tyler D. Card (student)
- English Résumé - Riley Tanner (from Karen Holt)
- English (Creative Writing) Résumé - Abbey Lee
- Graphic Design Résumé - Branke Vukelic
- Graphic Design Résumé - Krista Gregg
- Mechanical Engineering Résumé & Guidelines - Benjamin C. Groen
- Political Science Résumé - Susan Bell
- Rec Management Résumé - Janie Bradshaw (Therapeutic Rec)
- Social Work Résumé - Amanda Ondricek
- Sociology Résumé - Beckah Goolsby
- Theatre Résumé - Travis Kensington
- Skills-based Functional Résumé - Robert Darin
- Skills-based Functional Résumé - Amanda Ondricek
- Skills-based Health Science Functional Résumé - Brad Cuniff
Curriculum Vitae (CV) Samples