Skip to main content

Hosting an Internship

Information and FAQs for employers seeking to host an internship for BYU-Idaho students.

The following guidelines should be followed to ensure a student's internship experience is valuable.

  • All internships must be directly related to a student’s major.
  • Students should receive valuable instruction and guidance from a qualified mentor or supervisor.
  • Shadowing is not typically approved unless it is coupled with other hands-on experience.
  • Internships must be registered on I-Plan
  • Master Agreement — a document outlining the responsibilities of the university and employer — must be accepted and on file with the BYU-Idaho Internship Office. This will ensure that the intern is covered by the university's liability policy.
  • An internship should last between 7 and 13 weeks.
  • Students must work a minimum of 10 hours per week, however, many departments require more than 10.
  • Students will be required to complete academic coursework during their internship.
  • Students and employers will need to complete a post-internship evaluation. Evaluation responses are shared only with the student's Internship Coordinator.

Any questions should be directed to the Internship Office 208-496-9801.

U.S. Department of Labor - Internship Regulations

Questions about Internships

To find an intern you can post an internship on our BYU Idaho website. Please contact our Employer Relations Team at 208-496-9824 or by email at
The Master Agreement is a contract that protects the student, the experience provider, and the university. By having the document in place, the intern is covered by the university's liability insurance policy. The agreement also details the responsibilities of each party during an internship.
Your basic responsibilities will be to provide supervision, meaningful opportunities & responsibilities, and valuable training. For full details see the Master Agreement.
Compensation is whatever is agreed upon by provider and intern prior to employment start date. Internships may be paid or unpaid. If paid, pay is usually determined by experience and industry standards.
Responsibilities vary by state. Please contact your state's Workman's Compensation Program, or click here for a link to your state's website. BYU-Idaho does not provide Worker's Compensation for interns.
If you have already discussed the problem with the intern and it has persisted, please contact our office. We will assist you if we can or refer you to the intern's faculty coordinator.
All BYU-Idaho students who are out on internships, student teaching assignments, or nursing clinicals are covered by the university's liability insurance policy. For information regarding the policy or certificate of coverage, please contact our office.

BYU-Idaho operates year-round with three semesters: Fall, Winter, Spring, and an abbreviated Summer Session. Each student is admitted to a track consisting of two semesters: Fall/Winter, Winter/Spring, or Spring/Fall.

The three-track system allows students one open semester each year. This provides the perfect opportunity to take on a full-time internship during various times of the year. This is especially convenient for businesses that might otherwise have difficulty finding interns during the fall and winter semesters when most other students would be in school. Students are encouraged to serve their internship when they are "off-track".

Questions should be directed to the Internship and Career Services Office at