Skip to main content

Insurance FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Field Trip Insurance for students and teachers.

Field Trip Insurance

Field Trip Insurance provides limited medical coverage for bodily injury claims that may occur while BYU-Idaho enrolled students participate in a field trip ( an academic or education-related field event or activity that is scheduled, sponsored, and supervised by BYU-Idaho for the benefit of students). The policy typically covers a student's out-of-pocket medical expenses due to an accidental injury. The policy does not cover medical expenses due to illness.

All students who participate in a Field Trip are required to have their own health insurance or be named in a parent's or a guardian's health insurance policy. Field Trip Insurance only provides excess coverage to a student's health insurance. Field Trip Insurance is not for BYU-Idaho employees who work on the trip (see Work-Related Injuries).

The coverage limits are $10,000 for Accidental Death & Disability and $10,000 for Accidental Medical Expense (incl. limit of $250 per tooth).

Field Trip Insurance is not required. However, the insurance should be purchased if the activity poses a high risk for bodily injury (e.g. mountain biking, river rafting, rock climbing).

To learn more about Field Trip Insurance and the current rates, please review the Field Trip Insurance website.

When you complete a Spend Authorization in Workday you will be asked on the questionnaire if you want to purchase Field Trip Insurance. If you select yes, you will be directed to a link where you may complete the enrollment form. Please submit the form as soon as possible, but no later than three days before departing. Changes can be made up to one day before departure.

If you have any questions regarding how to purchase Field Trip Insurance, please contact Travel Administration at (208) 496-1974.

Field Trip Insurance can be paid in one of two ways. The sponsoring department can pay for the coverage or the department can pass the expense on to the students by increasing the cost of the class or program fee.  Separate fees for the coverage should not be collected from the students.
After an injured student receives medical attention, contact Risk & Safety Management at (208) 496-5606 to report the incident.  You will be given further instructions on how a claim is filed on the Field Trip Insurance policy.  Also, the injured student must file a claim with their health insurance company.  If approved, the Field Trip Insurance will provide coverage only AFTER the student's health insurance claim is processed.

Please note that not all medical expenses will be covered. Do not tell a student the field trip insurance or BYU-Idaho will pay for medical expenses.

If an employee is injured on a field trip, please submit a Work-related Employee Injury Report.


If an employee is injured on-the-job, complete and submit the Work-related Employee Injury Report.

For injuries to students, guests, tenants, and visitors that you witness or that happen in your Department’s purview, complete and submit the Non-work Related Injury Report. Do not accept liability or tell someone BYU-Idaho will pay medical expenses due to an injury.

Please note that this is only an incident report. It is up to the injured party to contact Risk & Safety Management to make a claim. Most injuries that happen on BYU-Idaho property or during a BYU-Idaho activity are NOT covered by BYU-Idaho. If someone asks about BYU-Idaho paying their medical expenses, do not promise payment. Recommend the person call Risk & Safety Management in addition to the injured party's health insurance company.

Motor Vehicle Incident

If you are driving a BYU-Idaho fleet vehicle off campus and are involved in a collision, call 911 about the accident so local law enforcement can investigate and notify an Emergency Medical Team, if you or someone else is injured. Do not discuss the incident with anyone else who was involved in the accident, only explain the facts of loss to the reporting officer. Most importantly, do not accept liability or tell a third-party BYU-Idaho will pay for their vehicle damage or medical expenses due to an injury. Write down the police, sheriff, or highway patrol report number, if available.

If possible, take photographs of both vehicles (all vehicles, if more than two are involved). Please take photographs of all four sides of each vehicle and include pictures of the license plates. Also, take a few photographs of the accident scene.

Complete a Motor Vehicle Incident Report and submit it along with the photographs to Risk & Safety Management. There is a link on the form that you can use to submit it electronically.

If the accident involves a BYU-Idaho fleet vehicle (or a rental company vehicle rented for BYU-Idaho business), the driver of the BYU-Idaho vehicle is required to contact Fleet Services at (208) 496-2561 in addition to their supervisor as soon as possible after the incident. If a rental car was driven on BYU-Idaho business, contact the rental car company and Fleet Services.

Employees who are involved in an automobile accident while on University business, and are driving their private automobiles, should report the incident to Risk & Safety Management at (208) 496-5606 in addition to their own automobile insurance company.

BYU-Idaho is self-insured, but we do have an insurance company that handles BYU-Idaho accidents that involve claims against BYU-Idaho. The insurance card in the fleet vehicle should list National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pitts as the automobile carrier. The claims are handled by a third-party administrator, Sedgwick Insurance. Contact Risk & Safety Management for further information.

Rental Vehicles

Review Travel Policies and Proceduresprior to renting a vehicle.

When traveling outside the Rexburg area, you are strongly encouraged to reserve a rental vehicle through the Travel Office at (208) 496-2340. The "extra insurance" is included in the corporate/standard rate for the University’s preferred rental car companies when you rent and drive one of their vehicles in the United States, but not in another country. Any damage to a rental vehicle is covered by the rental car company rather than BYU-Idaho's insurance fund. If the Travel Office is not used to book your rental, please use the links located on the Travel Office's website to ensure the insurance and fees are correctly applied.

Please note that it is not required to rent a vehicle with your BYU-Idaho corporate OneCard.* However, when you rent a vehicle you may be required to provide proof of employment such as your Employee ID Card.

Some personal credit cards or personal automobile insurance companies may provide coverage for damage or loss to a rental vehicle. Please check your credit card agreement or your automobile policy to see if there is any applicable coverage for a vehicle you rent.

* Use of the BYU-Idaho corporate OneCard is encouraged because of year-end corporate rebates as well as additional insurance, if an accident occurs.

Because the "extra insurance" is part of the BYU-Idaho rental agreement (excluding international travel), the rental car company's insurance is the primary coverage in the event of a claim. Rental car company automobile insurance policies usually have at least the state minimum limits. If a rental vehicle claim needs to be submitted through BYU-Idaho's insurance, it is administered by Sedgwick Insurance. Payment for a liability claim is contingent upon legal liability and state law. Also, there may not be coverage for a loss if the accident occurred during your personal time.**

**BYU-Idaho’s automobile insurance applies while you are using the rental vehicle for BYU-Idaho business. Even though your department might allow you flexible use of the rental vehicle, BYU-Idaho’s insurance does not apply while the rental vehicle is used for personal use, including, but not limited to, vacation time before or after a business conference. Other insurance may apply in either scenario such as your own automobile insurance; so, you are encouraged to check with your agent in advance regarding your automobile policy coverages and limits.

If you need to rent a vehicle when you travel outside the United States, contact the Travel Office so a representative can secure a rental vehicle for you and obtain the appropriate insurance.

It is prudent for the Travel Office to purchase the rental car company’s "extra insurance" to avoid delays, in the event you are involved in an automobile accident. For example, in some countries, the practice is to detain the driver or listed renter pending the payment for the rental vehicle’s damage.

Some foreign rental agreements provide limited liability insurance, or you can purchase it for a fee as part of the rental agreement. BYU-Idaho's insurance fund provides liability coverage. However, this is contingent on legal liability and might not be covered, if the accident occurred on your personal time.

Generally, when a vehicle is rented by an employee, any driver that has the employee's permission to drive the rental vehicle and is authorized by the rental company (usually > age 21 with a valid driver’s license and is listed as a driver of a specific vehicle) has coverage. Also, it is important that all drivers have a BYU-Idaho Driving Permit.

When you are involved in an automobile accident, contact the local law enforcement agency and notify the rental car company.  You will be required to complete the rental company's accident report form. The driver must also contact Fleet Services at (208) 496-2561 as soon as possible.  Additionally, you may need to report the accident to your own auto insurance company or agent, if the accident occurred during your personal time.

University Property

Yes. University property is covered for loss or damage anywhere in the world. However, if the property is shipped by a common carrier (e.g. USPS, FedEx, UPS) we recommend purchasing property insurance from the carrier. (See below: Should I ship BYU-Idaho owned property through BYU-Idaho Mail Services without shipping insurance?)

If the loss is over $250, fill out the University Property Incident Report and submit it to Risk & Safety Management for consideration. Keep in mind that not all losses are covered. Coverage is based on a standard, commercial property-insurance policy. Failure to complete this form in a timely manner may result in the denial of a claim.

Before your department can be compensated for the damaged, lost or stolen item, you must submit a copy of the purchase invoice or a receipt of the replacement item(s). If the item was repaired, a copy of the repair invoice needs to be submitted. You may also submit proof of replacement with a purchase order, a purchase requisition, delivery receipt or an internet order confirmation.

If you have the proof of replacement (i.e. purchase invoice) when you complete the University Property Incident Report, please include the document when you submit the form. If it's not available, you may submit it later to Risk & Safety Management.

If your department will not replace the property unless it’s sure insurance will cover it, ask the Risk Management Coordinator.

If you want to know the status of a claim, call Risk & Safety Management at (208) 496-5606. Please have the claim number available when you call. If you don’t have the claim number, you can reference the date of loss you recorded on the University Property Incident Report.

We recommend insurance be purchased for property that is shipped by a contract carrier (e.g. USPS, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.). If your department is shipping something of unusually high value or risk of being damaged or stolen, and if your department does not have the funds to cover the loss of or damage to the property while in transit, you are encouraged to purchase the insurance coverage from the carrier. If it is not available, contact BYU RMS&C for details on how to procure in-transit coverage for your shipment.

The cost center you record on the claim form will be credited the settlement amount. If you don’t write the cost center on the claim form, the reimbursement will be delayed.

If the inventory tag number is available, please include it on the University Property Incident Report. University equipment should have a tag number on it. Equipment acquired under sponsored contracts and designated per contract/grant should also have a tag number.

Call the Fixed Asset Control Specialist at (208) 496-1918, if you have inventory (tag) number questions.

Certificate of Insurance

When another entity requires proof of insurance from BYU-Idaho, you can make a request for a Certificate of Insurance. Submit your request using the Certificate of Insurance Request form. It is important you submit the request well ahead of time because it can take up to 30 days to receive the certificate. Typically, the request is for proof of general-liability insurance; however, the entity may want proof of other types of insurance or additional terms to be put on the certificate. Consult with Risk & Safety Management at (208) 496-5606 regarding special requests.

When BYU-Idaho requires proof of insurance from another entity we use the ConfirmNet system. They are our certificate management service and approve incoming certificates. BYU-Idaho, at minimum, requires general liability coverage in the amount of $1,000,000. Consult with Risk Management when a company or group want to use campus facilities. They need to provide proof of insurance naming BYU-Idaho as the certificate holder and/or as an additional insured.


If a lawsuit has been filed or a claim is being made against you or your department for money or other compensation, or a violation of civil rights is alleged, notify Risk & Safety Management as soon as possible. BYU-Idaho Risk & Safety Management will notify BYU General Counsel as needed.  All lawsuits are answered through BYU General Counsel.