Personal Safety Guidelines
- Always lock your car and trunk. Store valuables out of sight in your trunk.
- Never leave keys in your car or "hide" a spare key in a wheel well or bumper.
- Never leave your car/apartment keys, purse, backpack, or other personal items unattended.
- Carry car keys separately from house keys. Never put your name or address on your keys.
- Lock your bicycle in racks outside campus buildings (not to trees or railings); use a U lock or case-hardened lock and chain. Take easy-to-steal items (helmet, pump, bottles, quick-release seat, etc.) with you.
- Engrave your bike frame and wheels with your driver's license number to discourage theft.
- Use well-lit walkways at night, walk in pairs or groups, or call University Police at extension 3000 for an escort to your car.
- Report suspicious activities or persons to University Police at extension 3000 or use the emergency phone.
- Lock the outside door of apartment when (a) leaving, (b) the apartment will be unoccupied during the day, or (c) home alone at night or on weekends.