Brigham Young University-Idaho is committed to providing equal access to educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities in accordance with state and federal laws. To ensure equal access for students with disabilities, accommodations are provided on an individual basis through an interactive process with the Accessibility Services office.
As a student with a disability receiving accommodation from DS, it is important to know your rights and responsibilities outlined below.
Accessibility Services Students Have the Right to
- An equal opportunity to learn.
- An equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the university community.
- Choose whether or not to disclose the nature of your disability to your professor(s). The information you provide to Accessibility Services is protected by FERPA.
- File a grievance if you feel you are discriminated against.
Accessibility Services Student Responsibilities:
- Self-Identify to Accessibility Services, in a timely manner, as having a disability and needing accommodation(s).
- Submit appropriate documentation of a disability from a qualified professional prior to receiving accommodation(s), and provide information on how the disability is impacted in the education environment.
- Submit an Accessibility Services faculty notification letter in a timely manner to each course instructor. This is accomplished through the Accommodations Login located on the Returning Student page.
- Meet with each professor to discuss accommodations.
- Understand that late notification does not require retroactive academic adjustments.
- Submit accommodation requests in a timely manner.
- Contact Accessibility Services in a timely manner for any issues, concerns, or delays in receiving approved accommodations or if you believe you have been discriminated against.
- Notify Accessibility Services immediately when discontinuing an accommodation (e.g., note taking) or dropping a course for which accessible instructional materials are required.
- Meet the same standards—academic, technical, performance, and behavioral—expected of all BYU-Idaho students.
- Check your BYUI email account regularly for important updates from our office.