Changes in Final Grade

During the open grading period, instructors can modify midterm or final grades via the Grade Entry Portal on Once the grading period closes, a change in final grade needs to be submitted by the instructor using the BYU—Idaho Grade Change Portal.

Change in Final Grade Forms are available from department secretaries or the Student Records and Registration Office. Online instructors can seek assistance to change a final grade from the Online Learning Office. Once submitted to Student Records and Registration, the grade change will be entered within 48 business hours, and an email notification of the change will be sent to both the student and the instructor.

Academic Exceptions

Students wishing to appeal any BYU—Idaho academic policy must submit a petition to the Academic Exceptions Committee through the Student Records and Registration Office. These situations may include dropping classes or withdrawing from school after published deadlines. Petitions must be submitted within one year of the semester for which the student is requesting exception to academic policy. The petition process is meant to accommodate students with extenuating circumstances or emergencies beyond their control that may impact their academic record. Only BYU—Idaho policies can be appealed; federal guidelines and/or requirements cannot be appealed through this committee.

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, BYU—Idaho allows students to petition for Academic Renewal. If approved, this eliminates previous poor academic work either at BYU—Idaho or elsewhere, from the student’s academic record. Before petitioning for Academic Renewal, the following conditions must be met:

  1. A minimum of four years must have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed.
  2. The student must have completed at least one semester at BYU—Idaho as a full-time student (12 credits or more) with a grade point average of at least 2.5.
  3. The semester(s) to be considered for Academic Renewal must have a GPA below 2.0.

If Academic Renewal is approved, the permanent academic record is annotated to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, shall be applied toward graduation requirements or GPA calculation. However, all work remains on the record to ensure a true and accurate academic history. Academic Renewal may impact a student’s retaken courses.

This policy may not be used for individual courses. Students should also be aware that this is a BYU—Idaho policy and other institutions are not obligated to honor it.

Academic Renewal may be applied only once during an academic career at BYU—Idaho. Once approved, Academic Renewal may not be reversed.