An incomplete grade (I) is a conditional grade only granted under the following circumstances:
- Extenuating circumstances occurred (serious illness, personal injury, death in immediate family, etc.) that hindered class work and occurred after the tenth week of a semester or the fourth week of a block.
- The student must have a passing grade at the time of petitioning for the incomplete grade. It is not a substitute for a failing grade. Therefore, an incomplete grade should not be granted if the student is failing a class and wants additional time to submit make-up work in order to improve a grade.
- The student must be able to complete the remaining work on an individual basis with the instructor. Re-enrollment in all or part of the same course during a subsequent semester may not be required as part of the contract. The general length of time to fulfill the requirements of an incomplete contract is one additional semester; however, if circumstances warrant, the instructor may contact Student Records and Registration to extend the length of the contract.
- Instructor approval is mandatory, and the instructor may choose not to allow an incomplete contract since it requires the instructor to individually work with the student in addition to his or her normal workload.
Incomplete Contract forms are available from most department or college offices or from Student Records and Registration (KIM 190). Once an agreement has been made and the form has been completed by the faculty member and the student:
- The student keeps the yellow copy.
- The student submits the pink copy to the Student Records and Registration Office (KIM 190) for processing.
- The faculty member retains the white copy until all conditions have been met at which time it is submitted with a final grade to Student Records and Registration.