Language Tests

The exams for all languages are taken online through the BYU FLATS test. They can be taken in our Testing Center or at one of the proctor locations listed on the website. BYU-Idaho proctor information can be found on this page Students will be notified of their results and will receive up to 12 hours of Pass credit on their transcripts for the tests they pass. Find information regarding the  FLATS test and/or to register.

Vertical Credit

Students who begin their language study at a higher level and receive a C grade or better may petition up to 12 hours of vertical credit for the courses they skip (eligible language courses are limited to 101, 102, and/or 201). For help with this option, please contact Native speakers are not eligible for test or vertical credit.

Placement Information

Placement in foreign language classes is solely dependent on your personal proficiency level. However, there are some general guidelines that can help you get into the right class. If the class has a prerequisite, contact the course instructor directly for authorization to register for the class.


  • Students who have lived in the Arab world, studied Arabic in high school should generally take Arabic 101.
  • Students who have a firm command of the Arabic alphabet, understanding of basic grammar (suffix pro-nouns, idaafas, nominal sentences, verb conjugation, noun-adjective agreement, etc) and roughly 400 words of vocabulary should generally take Arabic 102.
  • While BYU-Idaho does not currently offer intermediate/advanced Arabic courses, the curriculum matches BYU’s curriculum. Students wishing to pursue further study of Arabic can take 201/202 in Provo as a visiting student in the Spring/Summer term. Students can also pursue study abroad opportunities through Critical Language Scholarship, or a summer intensive program such as those taught at Middlebury in Vermont.


  • Most elders returning from a Chinese-speaking mission should enroll in CHIN 202. Sisters who have at least a decent command of characters (reading and writing) should also take CHIN 202.
  • Since sister missionaries serve for 6 months less, CHIN 201 is normally a better fit. This is especially true if characters were not a focus during missionary service.
  • For students who took Chinese in high school or at another university, or for Cantonese-speaking returned missionaries, please contact Dr. McKay ( to have a 2-3 minute assessment for proper placement.


  • Students with 2 years or less of high school French should generally take French 101.
  • Students with 3 years or more of high school French should generally take French 102.
  • Students with 4 years or more of high school French (or former French-speaking missionaries who would like to review grammar and vocabulary) should generally take French 201.
  • Former French-speaking missionaries who already write well and speak well should take French 202 or French 321.

*These are the general guidelines for placement into French classes at BYU-Idaho.  They may vary according to grades received in the high school classes and according to general competence in the language.  For example, if a student took 4 years of high school French, but they were difficult for the student and the grade received was lower than an A, then the years in school may not apply and a beginning class should be taken.


Beginning level students should take GER 101 (online course only).

*We do not offer German for RMs or other intermediate/advanced-level speakers.


  • Students who served Russian-speaking missions should normally sign up for RUSS 202. Contact the instructor, Sister Лидия Ивановна Waddell (, for authorization to register for the course. RUSS 202 is the prerequisite for the 3rd-year language courses (RUSS 301 & RUSS 302).
  • Students who served Russian-speaking missions and who felt that they struggled with the language may choose to sign up for RUSS 201. Contact the instructor for a brief consultation and authorization to register for the course. RUSS 101 and 102 are not appropriate courses for anyone who served a Russian-speaking mission.
  • Students who have had other experience with Russian should contact Brother Brian Felt (feltb@byui.eduto determine the best Russian course for them.

*For more placement information visit:


  • Less than 2 years high school – take SPAN 101
  • 2 to 3 years high school – take SPAN 102
  • 4 to 5 years high school – take SPAN 201
  • Spanish-speaking RM – take SPAN 302
  • Heritage speaker – take SPAN 302 (learned some Spanish growing up speaking with family members)
  • Native speaker – take SPAN 302