Skip to main content

Therapeutic Recreation

Therapeutic Recreation compliance contact information for all U.S. states.
A BYUI therapeutic recreation class rides adaptive bicycles in Porter park during the fall 2021 semester.

This program satisfies the academic requirements for students to apply for certification by the National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC). Once certified at the national level, students are then qualified to apply for licensure at the state level. Individual states may require additional steps, such as a background check or an additional state exam. We encourage you to know the requirements for specific states by reaching out to the appropriate licensure body within the following states: California (registration), New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah, and Washington (registration).

All other states do not require a license to work in this field.

For additional information contact the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Leadership.

U.S. States & Territories

Status for Licensure
(Meets, Does not meet, Undetermined)

State Agency Link

Telephone Number

Date Last
California (registration) Meets (661) 538-1332 3/24
New Hampshire Meets (603) 271-2152 3/24
New Jersey Meets 3/24
North Carolina Meets (336) 212-1133 3/24
Oklahoma Meets (405) 962-1400 3/24
Utah Meets (801) 530-6628 3/24
Washington (registration) Meets (360) 236-4700 3/24