Skip to main content

Student Requirements

Learn more about financial obligations, obtaining a sponsor, and personal living expenses while attending BYU-Idaho as an international student.

You will be required to submit financial documents that demonstrate your ability, or the ability of your sponsor, to pay for your education, living, and travel expenses. BYU-Idaho requires you to have a plan in place demonstrating your understanding of the costs involved to live in the U.S. while attending school, and that you will maintain a current and ongoing financial source to cover the expenses.

  • As an international student, you are not eligible to receive Federal Government funding from the United States, Pell Grants, government-subsidized housing, WIC (Women, Infants, & Children’s Grants) for supplemental food, healthcare, or food stamps.  
  • The government requires that prospective F-1 students must provide proof that they have the financial resources in place to live and study in the U.S. Falsifying financial information is considered fraud.

Additionally, you must bring evidence of your financial resources when applying for your student visa. It is also advised to have the evidence on-hand when entering the country at a U.S. port of entry, in the event a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer asks to review it.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and BYU-Idaho are not able to fund your educational costs, government fees, or living expenses. If you do not have the financial resources for your immediate education we encourage you to continue saving, secure a sponsor, continue to prepare financially, and postpone your arrival to BYU-Idaho until you can be financially self-sustaining.

We hope you can pursue your studies at BYU-Idaho. Please be advised there are other potential academic options available to you, if you feel attending BYU-Idaho on campus is not financially feasible. You may be able to seek online certificates and degrees with the Pathway Program.


You may choose to provide your own financial resources to prove you have sufficient funding to study in the U.S. If this is the case, you will be required to reflect the following in your financial evidence:

  • Show the full amount of required funds in your personal bank account for the total years you will be attending school or a financial plan with liquid available funds.

Example: If you are attending 4 years at BYU-Idaho, you will need to reflect $68,000 in your personal bank account. $17,000 x 4 years = $68,000.

Example: Show funds of $17,000 for the first year in your personal bank account and submit additional proof of funds for the remainder of each year you will be studying. This could include:

  • Scholarships outside of BYU-Idaho and/or loans.
  • You own a property in your own country and rent it.
  • Planning to work while attending school will not be acceptable proof of funds.
  • Dependents: The amounts required did not include the additional cost of dependents.
    • If you have a dependent (a spouse or child) that was not born in the U.S. and they will be coming to the U.S. with you, you will need to reflect an additional $4,500 in your bank account, per dependent, for each year of school you will attend. Example:

Spouse $4,500
Child $4,500
Total $9,000 per year for every year you attend school.

Evidence of personal financial support could include, but is not limited to:

  • Personal bank statements.
  • Financial aid/grant/scholarship/loan letters outside of BYU-Idaho and the U.S. government.

Financial documents provided to International Services must be dated within 3 months of the I-20 application deadline. Financial documents dated before that will not be accepted.

Collection of proper financial information is required before your Form I-20 can be created. A Form I-20 is required to complete the necessary steps to study in the United States. These steps include:

  • Paying your I-901 SEVIS Fee.
  • Applying for your Nonimmigrant Visa with the U.S. Department of State.
  • Receiving F status at the U.S. Port of Entry.

If you are unable to provide proof of financial resources required to attend BYU-Idaho on your own, you will be required to secure a sponsor who will agree to provide financial support throughout your studies.

Obtaining a Sponsor

You will be required to secure a sponsor if you are not able to provide proof of personal financial support to attend BYU-Idaho. Sponsors can be a family member, friend, etc. BYU-Idaho does not have a list of potential sponsors. You are responsible to seek and secure your own sponsor. As an international student, you will need to rely on your sponsor’s funding. Ensure that your sponsor understands their financial obligations before signing and providing documentation to International Services.

When a sponsor signs our documentation they agree that they are willing and able to cover your expenses while living in the U.S. and attending BYU-Idaho. Your sponsor will be committing $17,000 (LDS) or $21,300 (Non-LDS) for each year of school you will be attending. If you have a dependent (a spouse or child) who will be coming to the U.S. with you, it is an additional $4,500 per dependent, per year.

Maintaining sponsorship while in the U.S. is required. It is important for you to maintain your relationship with your sponsor throughout your years of education.

If you lose the support of your sponsor:

  • You will need to obtain another sponsor.
  • You should utilize other sources of funding you may have.
  • You may need to return home to your country to work and save money to reapply and return to BYU-Idaho or complete your degree online.

Paying Tuition

Tuition and fees must be paid in full each semester. Failure to pay in full will result in a registration hold being placed on your student account. This hold will prevent you from registering for classes. Not enrolling in classes during a semester that you are required to be enrolled will result in the termination of your I-20.

You are responsible to know about the cost of attendance, tuition, and fees of attending BYU-Idaho before traveling and committing to attend BYU-Idaho. Failure to pay tuition and fees in full each semester will result in being reported to collections and eventually to U.S. credit bureaus.

To learn about tuition and fees view Cost of Attendance.

To learn about how to pay tuition and other fees view Payment Plans.

To learn about financial deadlines view Dates and Deadlines.

Personal Living Expenses

You are responsible for funding your personal living expenses along with your education. Upon arriving in Rexburg, Idaho, you should be financially prepared to immediately pay rent and cover personal needs, tuition, and books. You will also need to secure transportation to Rexburg after arriving in the U.S. There are shuttles that can transport you from Salt Lake City and Idaho Falls to Rexburg, Idaho. You can search for shuttles online to find pricing and make reservations. Do not travel without appropriate funds, or with expectations that you will obtain funds after arriving in the U.S.

If you are attending BYU-Idaho in the Fall or Winter Semesters you should plan to bring or prepare to purchase a coat, boots, hat, gloves, and a scarf. This will increase your expenses and these items are needed for several cold winter months.

When estimating your cost of living and expenses, please keep in mind the exchange rates. You can check exchange rates at