Skip to main content

F-2 Visa

International students can learn more about F-2 visa requirements, including eligibility to study at BYU-Idaho, seek employment, and travel.


Under U.S. immigration law, your status is dependent upon your F-1 visa holder and your ability to maintain F-2 lawful dependent status. As an F-2 dependent you should be aware of and follow the information below:

  • Have a valid passport at all times.
  • Do not enroll in a full course of study on campus. You are only permitted to enroll on a part-time basis which means you should not exceed 6 credits.
  • Follow the grace period rules.
    • Do not enter the U.S. more than 30 days before the F-1 program start date.
    • Do not remain in the U.S. for more than 60 days beyond the F-1 program completion date.
      • Dependents are required to obey federal, state, and local laws.
      • Do not accept employment under any circumstances.


If you are in the U.S. on an F-2 visa you are permitted to study at BYU-Idaho. F-2 students are allowed to be degree-seeking but are not allowed to enroll in a full course of study. F-2 students cannot take 12 credits. International Services recommends that F-2 students take a maximum of 6 credits per semester.


As an F-2 dependent, it is a direct violation of your status to participate in employment or business under any circumstances. F-2 dependents are not permitted to work while on an F-2 visa. Failure to abide by this regulation will cause you to be out of status and will lead to the termination of your I-20.


You do not require special permission when traveling within the U.S. International Services does recommend that if you do travel outside of Rexburg you will need to take your I-20, Passport, and Visa with you. When traveling internationally you are required to have the following documents to re-enter the U.S.

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Visa
  • I-20 which has a travel endorsement signed by a DSO in International Services on page 2. It must be signed within 12 months of re-entry.

F-2 students are not required to travel with the F-1 visa holder and are not limited in the amount of time spent outside the U.S.