Skip to main content

New/Prospective Students

Welcome to BYU-Idaho! Learn more about how to apply for admissions, what to do before you arrive, and how to begin an I-20 application.

Applying to BYU-Idaho

International students that want to attend BYU-I can find information about how to apply online through Admissions. Questions about applying and admission to BYU-I should be directed to the Admissions office.

Admissions E-mail Address -
Admissions Phone Number - (208) 496-1411

Pre-arrival Guide for New International Students

Apply to BYU-Idaho. Before beginning your I-20 application you must first be conditionally admitted to BYU-I. Your BYU-I application is on hold until you are approved to receive an I-20.

  1. Apply for an I-20. Log on to Sunapsis and fill out the Application for Form I-20. You must provide a copy of your passport and proof of financial support. Once you accept your admissions offer, you then pay the international deposit.
  2. Apply for a U.S. visa. Before making travel arrangements you must apply for a student visa with a U.S. embassy near you.
  3. Search for housing. Once you have received your visa, begin searching for appropriate housing.
  4. Understand regulations. Learn about basic immigration regulations to maintain your status while studying in the U.S.
  5. Register for classes. You are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credits. Only 3 credits or 1 online class counts toward the minimum of 12 credits, with the remainder being on-campus courses. It is important to register early to enroll in the classes you need.
  6. Find the best way for you to travel to campus and book your travel!

Congratulations! We are looking forward to meeting you! (Download Pre-Arrival Graphic)

Form I-20

After international students (transfer students included) have been conditionally admitted to BYU-Idaho, they can begin their application for Form I-20.

The Form I-20 is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status issued to F-1 international students who have been accepted into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified school. This form is issued by International Services at BYU-Idaho from a Designated School Official (DSO).

Students must also obtain a Form I-20 for any eligible dependents (spouse or children) they plan to bring to the U.S. F-1 students must be issued an I-20 before scheduling a visa interview. The Form I-20 is required for international students to obtain a student visa, to enter the U.S., and to study in the U.S. The Form I-20 establishes that a student meets the criteria for non-immigrant student status. See the I-20 Application Process page for more information about the I-20.