On Campus Employment

All international students can work on campus but are restricted in their hours.

  • International students can only work up to 20 hours each week during semesters that they are fully enrolled, ideally on-track semesters.
  • Working more than 20 hours is a violation of a student’s immigration status and may lead to termination of the I-20.
  • Students may work more than 20 hours a week during school breaks (winter break, spring break, and summer session) and their flex semester if they are not fully enrolled.
  • International students may begin on campus employment up to 30 days before the start of their first semester.
  • International students should not rely on receiving a campus job when they attend school. Job openings on campus can be found here. Regulations for on campus job restrictions can be found here.

Off Campus Employment

Any unauthorized work will result in termination of the student’s I-20. International students must have authorization by a DSO to work off campus. Students that are authorized to work off campus are participating in Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT requires that any off-campus work experience must be an integral part of the school’s established curriculum. Students that apply for CPT must receive academic credit for the work experience.

To be eligible for CPT a student must:

  • Be fully enrolled in two semesters prior to applying
  • Find a job directly related to their major
  • Apply for and be approved for an internship

Once CPT has been approved the student may only work for the company listed on page 2 of the I-20 and for the designated amount of time. If a student starts employment before the start date on the I-20 or before being issued a CPT I-20 they are in violation of their status and are at risk of their I-20 being terminated.

Students should only work the number of hours permitted by the CPT I-20.

  • Part-time CPT allows students to work up to 20 hours each week.
  • Full-time CPT requires students to work more than 20 hours each week.
  • Students that work more than 20 hours a week who have been issued part-time CPT are in violation of their status.
  • Students that work less than 20 hours a week who have been issued full-time CPT are in violation of their status.

If a student has a cumulative of 365 days of full-time CPT, they are no longer eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after their graduation.

Regulations for off-campus employment can be found here.

Social Security Number

Social Security Numbers are assigned to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible nonimmigrant workers in the U.S.

  • International students who have been given employment U.S. need a Social Security Number.
  • Students that have not received employment in the U.S. are not eligible for a Social Security Number.

When a student is given employment they will need to take the following documents to the Social Security Administration office in Idaho Falls.

  • Form SS-5
  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94
  • Proof of work authorization
    • If a student is hired for an on-campus position, they will need a signed letter from Human Resources with a DSO signature giving work authorization.
    • If a student is hired and authorized for an off-campus position, they will need to take their CPT I-20 as well as papers from their employer.