BYU-Idaho Academic Standard:

Students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to be eligible to earn a degree or certificate.

A student's official Academic Standing is designated as one of the following statuses:

  1. ELIGIBLE:  eligible to continue enrolling in courses and persisting toward completion of a declared degree
  2. INELIGIBLE:  not eligible to continue enrolling at BYU-Idaho

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the significance of a 2.0 cumulative GPA as a graduation requirement?

An individual grade of "C" equates to a 2.0 GPA and is defined in the BYU-Idaho Academic Catalog as a "sufficient understanding of subject matter." A student with less than a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework would not have a sufficient understanding in their program of study. Therefore, only students who have acquired, at minimum, a sufficient understanding of the subject matter can be awarded a BYU-Idaho degree.

Where can students find their cumulative GPA?

Grad Planner

Students can find their cumulative GPA on the top of their Grad Plan, after logging in.

Unofficial Transcript

The cumulative GPA is located at the bottom of a student's unofficial transcript found on the Student Tab of  Select "Unofficial Transcript" on the left navigation bar then proceed to click "PDF Unofficial Transcript" in the center of the page.

What happens if a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0?

Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will not automatically become "ineligible." Improved student success and student retention efforts, currently being led by BYU-Idaho's Academic Advising Center, were implemented to assist students in successfully improving their academic performance and continue their progress toward degree completion.

Where can students see if they are eligible or ineligible?

This information is also located on the Student Tab of  Look for "Academic Status" on the right side in the "Academic Summary" chart.

What is the impact of becoming “Ineligible”?

A student with an academic status of "Ineligible":

  • may not register for BYU-Idaho classes
  • may not work in BYU-Idaho student employment
  • may not live in BYU-I approved housing
  • may not attend BYU-Idaho

When would a student become ineligible?

A student's academic status will become "ineligible" if there is no probable way for the student to attain a 2.0 cumulative GPA required to earn a degree within 180 attempted credits.

How does this policy show concern for students who are struggling academically?

One of the hallmarks of the BYU-Idaho experience is the concern faculty and administration have for students and their academic success. Because of this focus, increased initiatives, including this new Academic Standards Policy, are underway to help students persist in their academic goals to completion of a desired program. Additionally, new processes are being designed to identify at-risk students and provide help in developing a personalized academic success plan.

Where should I start if I am struggling academically?

Academic Advising Office

The Academic Advising Office is a great source to students who need guidance in their academic schedule, credit questions and overall success. If a student has questions about their degree program, classes or schedule, set up an appointment with the Academic Advising Office.

Phone: (208) 496-9800 
Office: Chapman 101

Tutoring Center

BYU-Idaho offers many free tutoring and support services for students who need academic help. The Academic Support Center website has a complete list of all current resources available. Students are encouraged to get specialized help in their current courses.

Phone: (208) 496-4270
Office: David O. McKay Library, 2nd Floor, East Wing

How does the Academic Standards Policy affect a student’s Financial Aid?

Questions regarding a student's financial aid eligibility based on the official academic standard should be directed to the Student Financial Aid Office at (208) 496-1600.