Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Campus Retention Schedule and how do I use it?

The Campus Retention Schedule, or CRS, provides general guidelines for retaining records once they're no longer actively used. Tips for using the schedule are located within the description of the  Campus Retention Schedule.

I completed a retention schedule recently, where is it?

To find your office's existing retention schedule, go to the Retention Schedule Library.

When does the retention period begin?

Retention begins from the moment of creation or when the record is no longer actively used. See the CRS for descriptions of when retention begins for specific records categories, and for determining how long to keep records.  

How can I determine if I can destroy records?

Retention begins at an event as described in the CRS and then lasts for a number of years as listed in the CRS. Records can be destroyed at this point if their disposition action is "destroy." Scroll through the CRS to locate disposition for specific records categories.

I have records I need to destroy. What do I do?

Prior to destroying records, ensure that the retention period in the CRS has been met, then fill out a Records Destruction Form. Records with confidential information need to be securely shredded; other records should be recycled. Contact us regarding proper destruction or for pick up for secure shredding or recycling.

Who do I contact about financial records?

The Financial Services office handles the majority of financial matters conducted by the University. Individal offices have very few records they need to be concerned with retaining. Contact Financial Services through their website.

Who do I contact about a student's records?

The Student Records Office is the primary repository for a student's academic records. Most records associated with a student's academic life belong with Student Records. Visit the Student Records website.

How do I treat my electronic record information with the CRS?

Electronic records should be filed in much the same way as paper records; using electronic filing systems rather than paper files. The CRS provides general retention guidelines for both types of records. File your records electronically according to the CRS and dispose of electronic information as described in the schedule. SharePoint is one accepted method for managing electronic records and can assist you in automating retention and disposition for your records. Contact us for assistance in using SharePoint, and for determining how to treat electronic records once they reach their disposition stage.   

Where are the Special Collections and what do they accept?

The Special Collections are located in room 220 in the McKay Library. It is the corprate archives for the University, and as such houses permanent, historical records for future administrative and historical use. Explore the Permanent Library Holdings Policy, then contact Special Collections regarding transfer of historical records.