Start the Application Process
Requirements for Part-Time Non-Degree Seeking Students
For people wanting to take classes to enrich their lives, or to fulfill a Continuing Education requirement, BYU-Idaho offers the option to be a Part-Time Non-Degree Seeking Student, also referred to as a Non-Matriculating Student. The requirements and limitations to be a Non-Matriculating Student are listed below.
Please note, that if you have previously been denied to BYU-Idaho for not meeting academic requirements, you will not qualify for admission as a Non-Matriculating student until you can demonstrate that you have met the minimum academic requirement held for full-time status.
Who should be a Non-Degree-Seeking Student?
- Have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree
- Are interested in taking classes for personal enrichment (on campus or online)
- Are working on pre-requisites for graduate school
- Need to take a class or two toward a program application at another college/university…then Non-Degree-Seeking (also known as Non-Matriculating) enrollment might be a good fit for you! (If none of these descriptions fit you, we invite you to apply as a degree-seeking student either on-campus or online.)
Non-Degree-Seeking students may be admitted with the following parameters:
- Maximum of 9 credits per semesters
- Not eligible for federal financial aid, student employment, BYU-Idaho single student housing, or campus activities
- May take online courses, but not eligible for BYU Pathway Worldwide reduced tuition rates
- Must enroll each semester (excluding Summer Session) in order to keep active enrollment. If a person needs to take a semester off, they must defer that semester by going to https://www.byui.edu/admissions/deferments or by calling the admissions office at 208-496-1300
Required Application Materials:
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement from bishop and stake presidency
- $35 application fee (if applicant has never applied to Ricks College or BYU-Idaho)
- In some cases, applicants may also be required to provide additional academic information, English proficiency test scores, etc.
- Please submit your application at least one week prior to the desired registration date; applications should be submitted 10 days prior to the beginning of classes at the latest. For more information go to the academic calendar.