Math Placement Exam (ALEKS)
BYU - Idaho uses an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment to determine readiness for math courses. It is also an option to meet the mathematics prerequisite for Chemistry 105 or Chemistry 106. The ALEKS Placement covers material from Basic Math through Precalculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a Learning Module is available for you to review and learn material, and to improve placement.
The assessment is completed by you on your own computer from anywhere in the world. You will pay $25 directly to the ALEKS program when you create an ALEKS account. If you create duplicate accounts you will be charged for each account.
Who must to take the ALEKS Placement Assessment?
Students who have not met the prerequisites for the course they need or who do not have the required ACT/SAT score as listed below:
|COURSE||ACT SCORE||New SAT (2016 & Later)||SAT SCORE|
|FDMAT 108||18 or higher||470 or Higher||430 or higher|
|MATH 109||23 or higher||570 or higher||540 or higher|
|MATH 110||23 or higher||570 or higher||540 or higher|
|MATH 111||23 or higher||570 or higher||540 or higher|
|FDMAT 112||27 or higher||640 or higher||620 or higher|
|MATH 119||26 or higher||620 or higher||600 or higher|
Students registering for Chemistry 105 or 106 may meet the FDMAT 110 prerequisite by scoring a 70 or higher on the ALEKS exam. (Note: this will not fulfill the Foundation's math requirement for graduation)
What does my placement result mean?
You will know your score the instant you finish your test on your computer. It is the placement result. Based on your placement result, use this chart to determine the class you qualify to register:
ALEKS Score (%) Needed to Register for:
MATH 119 or CHEM 105/106
What if I do not achieve the score I desired?
After you have completed your initial assessment, ALEKS custom designs a program of study called a Prep and Learning Module. Use the Prep and Learning module to review and learn. After you feel prepared, you may take another placement assessment to improve your placement result.
Will I earn college credit for completing the test?
No. Getting a high enough score on the test may waive prerequisites for Math or Chemistry courses, but no credit will be received for taking the test.
Will completing the ALEKS test fulfill the university's Foundations math requirement?
No. The ALEKS program may waive prerequisites for Math and Chemistry courses, but will not waive the Foundations Math requirement.
How will my score be reported to the university?
Scores 38% or higher will automatically be sent to the university and be entered in the registration system within 24 businsess hours.
How will I know my score?
You will know your score the instant you finish your initial assessment. It will be in bold above your placement pie chart after you have finished the assessment.
How do I know which class to take?
Use your score and the chart above to determine which class to take.
Does the ALEKS test allow you to test out of Math Foundation courses?
No. The ALEKS program is not a test out option for Math Foundations requirements. In fact, there is no test out option for Math Foundations courses.
Can I retake the ALEKS Placement Assessment?
Yes, you may take up to 5 placement assessments (including the initial assessment).
Must I work in my ALEKS Prep and Learning Module between placement assessments?
- Yes, you must work in ALEKS Prep and Learning for at least
- 3 hours between the 1st and 2nd placement assessments,
- 3 hours between the 2nd and 3rd placement assessments,
- 3 hours between the 3rd and 4th placement assessments, and
- 3 hours between the 4th and 5th placements assessments.
Can I retake the ALEKS Placement Assessment immediately?
- You must wait at least 48 hours between placement assessments.
- There is no benefit to re-taking the assessment immediately after completing an attempt.
How long will a placement assessment take to complete?
- Your placement assessment will take approximately 90 minutes to complete
- The amount of time can vary by student.
- There will be a maximum of 30 questions.
- You must complete it within 48 hours of beginning the placement assessment.
What happens if I do not complete a placement assessment within 48 hours?
- You will have to restart the assessment.
How long do I have access to my Prep and Learning Module?
You will have six months from the time that you take the initial assessment.
May I use a calculator while using ALEKS?
- No. ALEKS will provide an on-screen calculator if you need one to complete a particular problem.
May I use any other resources during a placement assessment?
- You may only use a pen or pencil, paper, and the resources provided by ALEKS.
- You may not receive assistance from friends, family, other websites, textbooks, or any other resource not provided by ALEKS.
- Using outside resources may lead to improper placement and ultimately course failure.
Be honest about your skill level. There is no benefit to cheating on the placement assessment - your only reward will be that you are forced to take a class that is too difficult for your current level of mathematical knowledge.
- Therefore, while you are taking the assessment, do not consult any other source for help (friends, family, internet searches, etc.).
- The purpose of the placement assessment is to give an accurate measure of your current mathematical skills so that you will be successful in your mathematics courses.
- Please remember the Principles of Personal Honor: http://www.byui.edu/student-honor-office?cid=fli:173
What are ALEKS Progress Assessments (Pop Quizzes)?
While working in a Prep and Learning Module, you will periodically complete pop quizzes to solidify your understanding of math.
Does progress in an ALEKS Prep and Learning Module count toward placement?
No, you must complete a new placement assessment to change your placement result. Click on the placement tab on the upper right of the page from within ALEKS. Only your placement assessment results will be used for course placement.
If I have problems with ALEKS, who do I contact?
How do I begin using ALEKS?Please write down this course code YJJCG-RKCAE. You MUST enter this course code YJJCG-RKCAE in the boxes for "Using ALEKS with a Class" to create your account.
To begin your assessment, go to http://www.aleks.com/sign_up and enter the course code YJJCG-RKCAE.