Campus Email Guide
This page refers to on-campus marketing. For off-campus marketing, please refer to the Off-Campus Branding Guidelines.
Campus mail can be highly effective and worth the effort if directed to the correct audience. Be aware that that this channel is only open to official campus communication or limited personal communication that are not soliciting in nature.
Determine what your message is, the best way to communicate it, and what action you desire your viewers to take when others receive the message.
Scheduled emails containing information and announcements of campus events. There are two email types: the Advisory for official messages and the Feed for more promotional messages.
- Campus emails can be sent to a target audience.
- Information can be sent quickly to a large audience.
- Campus emails allow you to receive instant feedback.
- Campus emails allow you to know how many have opened their email and which links were clicked-on.
- Not everyone reads emails thoroughly. Most emails are quickly scanned.
- In order for your emails to be effective, you should implement some form of segmentation to discern the proper audience for your email and be more effective.
(verify prices with vendor before ordering):
- Write a headline that is up to one hundred characters (including spaces), and two lines of text up to 300 characters total (including spaces). The title can have one hundred characters.
- You may also include a URL in the email. This URL must link to a website where the viewer can receive more information.
- Identify who you want to receive your email.
- Employee/Student Advisory (Tuesdays): Advisory emails contain important information that students and employees need to know or that the University must disclose. Examples include: academic and financial aid deadlines; scheduled IT maintenance, campus construction and road closures, fee disclosures, and university policies. The Advisory emails for online students and employees are tailored to provide information that relates to their situation.
- The Feed (Thursdays): The Feed includes promotional information that may be of interest to employees and students, such as concerts, dances, Activities Program events, society and association notices, sales, requests for volunteers, and so on. The online Feed emails are tailored to inform online employees or online students of opportunities of interest to their situation.
Acquire University approval and the verification stamp (if needed) before publishing.
Send this information using the Advisory and Feed Submission Form. All requests must be submitted to this email before 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to being included in an email. The deadline for the administrative Advisory is Mondays at 5 p.m. The deadline for The Feed is Wednesdays at 5 p.m. For messages to be included more than one week, resubmit the form for each week before the deadline.
Print or export your media, and distribute your message through official BYU-Idaho marketing channels.
Once your post has been approved it will be sent out in the campus email on Tuesdays for Administrative Advisory and Thursdays for Student Feed.