The following deadlines are for the Pre-licensure BSN application.
|Desired semester to be in the Nursing Program:||Application Deadline:||Core course grades have to be posted at the end of:||Selections, notification, and finishing required (non-core) courses:|
|February 15th||Winter Semester||Spring Semester|
|Winter Semester||May 15th||Spring Semester|| |
|Spring Semester||October 15th||Fall Semester|| |
Applicants will be notified prior to the first day of registration for the corresponding semester
Apply to BYU-Idaho at Apply to Church Schools
Students must complete BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, and BIO 265L with a " B- " or higher and maintain a minimum of "C-" in all major courses.
Students may repeat/retake a total of two (2) nursing prerequisite courses (this includes all core and prerequisite courses for nursing)
For courses needed prior to or at the time of application, see the "Suggested Course Sequence" section below. A final grade must be posted for BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, CHEM 101, CHEM 101L and PSYCH 111 prior to acceptance.
General work experience (paid & unpaid), medical experience (CNA, EMT, Medical Assisting), Church and community leadership, military service, and ROTC students (with an approved grad plan) are all considered at the time applications are reviewed.
May only apply twice
A 3.4 Core grade point average (GPA) or higher at the time of selections (Core GPA courses include: BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, CHEM 101, CHEM 101L, and PSYCH 111) and a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
Pre-admission exam with a minimum 75% pass rate. See more information below ("Application" #12)
Acceptance is conditional on NURS 105 being completed prior to beginning the program. If an applicant is a certified CNA, they may request a waiver of NURS 105 through the CALS Advising office.
As outlined by Admissions: "International and US students not educated in an English language curriculum are required to demonstrate English proficiency by meeting the minimum scores on one of the [English proficiency] exams...In certain cases, these exams may be required of students educated in an English language curriculum as well"
The Nursing Program requires that International and US students educated in a foreign high school are required to demonstrate English language proficiency by meeting the minimum score of an 80 on the TOEFL.
- The Nursing Program also requires a minimum of 75 on the English Language Composite score on the pre-admission (HESI) exam for all applicants
Meeting the minimum requirements to apply to the Nursing Program does not guarantee acceptance.
The following information will be required for the application:
- A Core GPA of 3.4 or higher a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Core GPA courses include: BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, CHEM 101, CHEM 101L, and PSYCH 111
- *UPDATE* Photo (Shoulders and above with a white background)
- Short Essay
- Work Resume specifying number or years working experience in the medical field and general work experience
- Leadership Resume listing dates, organization, nature of the activity, and your role in that project or activity- for school, community, or church leadership
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one personal, one professional): Use the following link to fill out a reference request survey. Follow the directions in the survey carefully, and then send the link given in the survey to your desired reference. (All survey links can be used multiple times) https://byui.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3DDACZxmRp7WT09
- *UPDATE* Immunizations due at the time of application:
- MMR (vaccination dates (2) or positive titers)
- Hepatitis B (vaccination dates (3) or titer)
- Varicella/Chicken pox (vaccination dates (2) or positive titer)
- Tdap (within the last 8 years)
- Medical Exam Form (requires a visit with your healthcare provider)
- Unofficial transcripts from other universities/colleges attended, if these courses are not listed on your BYU-I transcript
- Unofficial BYU-Idaho transcript
- Upload documentation of TOEFL score, for International or US students educated at a foreign high school
- Pre-admission exam with a minimum 75% pass rate.
- You MUST use your BYU-I student email address when registering for the Pre-admission exam.
- You will need to maintain a printout copy of your score to upload into your Nursing application!
- Instructions for the pre-admission nursing exam (download)
- You are welcome to email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the Health Programs Outreach office (BEN 240, 242, 244) to verify if your application to the Nursing program is complete or to ask any questions you may have
BSN Application Request Forms
Please select the form that corresponds with the Semester and Year that you wish to apply for:
|Fall||Fall / 2023||Fall / 2024|
|Winter||Winter / 2024||Winter / 2025|
|Spring||Spring / 2023||Spring / 2024|
For additional help regarding University and Nursing Program requirements, please contact the College of Ag & Life Sciences Academic Advising Office
Pre-Licensure BSN Tuition and Fees
In addition to the University tuition, the Pre-Licensure BSN program has the following additional costs. Estimated totals include fees, books, nursing kit, scrubs, and software:
1 SEMESTER: $ 1325.00
2 SEMESTER: $ 625.00
3 SEMESTER: $ 425.00
4 SEMESTER: $ 425.00 + fees*
* Licensure and fingerprint fees are determined by the State Board of Nursing once registered for the NCLEX
Immunizations and Documentation
The following immunizations and documentation are required, after conditional acceptance into the Nursing Program.
Students that are conditionally accepted will be fully accepted once (1) the currently enrolled pre-requisite courses are successfully completed, (2) student has a clear background check, and (3) all immunizations and documentation have been uploaded into mCE (myClinicalExchange).
The deadline for conditionally accepted students to upload the immunizations and documentation are:
Fall: June 15th (flu vaccine deadline is prior to Fall Semester start)
Winter: November 15th
Spring: March 15th (No flu vaccine requirement)
Failure to upload the required immunizations and documentation listed below will result in the acceptance to the Nursing program being revoked.
The 'annual' and 'upon expiration' immunizations will need to be maintained, throughout the course of the program. An ADVI hold will be placed on a student's account for failure to update the requirements. * To remove the hold, the student will need to update the expired immunization in mCE and contact HPO@byui.edu.
- Flu vaccine: Fall- Oct 1st deadline; Winter- Nov 15th deadline (only 1 is required per year and is dependent on the semester you are attending)
- QuantiFERON Gold Tb (a negative chest x-ray will be required if TB is positive)
- Current copy of your * American Heart Association Basic Life Support, BLS Provider card* ( no other CPR card will be accepted)
The following are submitted at the time of acceptance only:
- Background check (instructions will be provided with acceptance)
- Hep B positive titer
- COVID full vaccination (Johnson vaccination date (1) or Moderna/Pfizer vaccination dates (2))
- A 10-Panel Drug Test +alcohol - please wait for notification on when and how to obtain this from the Department of Nursing (during your first Semester and then randomly as needed)
After conditional acceptance, please upload, and keep up-to-date, your immunizations in mCE (myClinicalExchange)
PRE-LICENSURE BSN APPLICATION:
Fall - February 15th
Winter - May 15th
Spring - October 15th