Whether you are a freshman in college or a seasoned upperclassman, developing and maintaining roommate relationships can be a challenge. Everyone has their own expectations of roommates, and it is not uncommon to feel a mix of emotions as you try to build positive connections in your apartment. We encourage you to befriend your roommates. Here are three steps to help you.
Step 1 Practice Principles of Friendship
Step 2: Invite, Invite, Invite
STEP 3: Make Roommates a Priority
- Roommate dinner once a week
- Game Night
- Attend activities on campus
- Go to church together
- Pray and study Come Follow Me together. Being together is a simple way to strengthen roommate relationships
Secrets to a Happy Home
Don’t we all want to move in and feel like we’re home? This feeling of belonging doesn’t happen overnight - don’t stress, you can do it! Remember, you cannot control how others feel, act, or think, but you can still be a positive influence by focusing on your own efforts. Here are some key things you should do and key things you should not do to make your apartment feel like home for everyone.
- When others make a mistake, be quick to forgive.
- Be your best.
- When you are wrong, acknowledge it. Do your part to make things right.
- Take responsibility for your actions.
- Treat everyone the way you want to be treated.
- Lie or deceive others for personal gain.
- Be fake.
- Make excuses or dismiss the concerns of your roommates.
- Be hypocritical.
What does this look like?
If you're not being received like you hoped you would, that’s OK! Although it is hard, the best thing you can do is keep showing genuine love and friendship to your roommate.
- How would you want to be treated as each character in the videos?
- What can you do today to increase positive feelings towards your roommates?
- Make a plan today to improve your relationship with your roommates?