Guidelines for On-campus Internships
These guidelines are intended to provide students with high-quality experiences, comparable to off-campus internships. Students will be able to focus on gaining valuable skills, rather than trying to juggle the demands of work and school simultaneously.
On-campus internships should be driven by the department, rather than a student’s request. The department should identify a need, determine if a qualified supervisor is available to oversee the student, and then submit a request.
Requirements for On-campus Internships
- Students may complete one campus internship.
- Positions must be 20-40 hours per week unless previously approved as an exception.
- Students must be paid through student employment (volunteering or working for scholarships will not qualify).
- On-Campus internships must last the entire length of a semester.
- Job duties and responsibilities must be substantial/elevated (no basic labor is permitted).
- The internship must require skills obtained in the classroom related to the student’s major and courses taken, prerequisite training, technical skills, etc.
- No teaching assistant or research assistant positions will be approved.
- No secretarial/administrative assistant positions will be approved.
- The student’s supervisor must work in the same department.
- The supervisor must be a qualified mentor in the student’s field of study. Other student employees do not qualify as internship supervisors.
- The supervisor must be able to oversee the student’s work, ensure that correct principles are being applied and provide appropriate feedback.
- An educational background/degree is preferred, but extensive experience in the industry may qualify the supervisor as an internship supervisor.
On-Campus Request Guidelines
The hiring supervisor submits a request to create an internship at firstname.lastname@example.org. The proposal must include all of the following information:
- Job title and description
- Appropriate for which major(s)
- Hours per week and total weeks
- Name, title, and qualification of supervisor
- If pre-selected, the name of the student filling the position
- Designation as a one-time or ongoing internship position
- The business need for the internship position
- How this experience would lead to gainful employment in the student’s chosen field
- Date of request
- Signature of requesting a supervisor and Department Chair/Director