The BYU-I PTA program will accept applications during each Spring semester (May-July). Applications are due by 8 am (MT) Monday, July 10th, 2023 for the next upcoming Fall semester.
Step 1 (Program Requirements):
- Apply to BYU-Idaho. You can begin your application on the Apply to Church Schools
- Contact the College of Ag and Life Science (CALS) Academic Advising Center
- It is recommended that you complete at least 1 semester with 12 credit hours or more before applying to the program. Successful completion of at least 12 credits in one semester demonstrates your ability to maintain grades with a decent academic load.
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher. You must demonstrate a minimum of a "C" in all pre-requisite courses and the average GPA of the following "core courses" must also be 3.0 or higher: BIO 264/264L, BIO 265/265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- You must be able to graduate with the PTA degree with less than 120 credits OR graduate with less than 140 credits with a dual degree (BS & AAS). Please consider these limits when applying. View a listing of all PTA prerequisite and program courses. This will help you verify that you can graduate within these limits. For a specific grad plan, contact the CALS Advising Center.
- 60+ hours of job shadowing experience: 30 or more Outpatient Physical Therapy Clinic hours and 30 or more Acute Care, Rehab/Sub Acute Rehab, Extended Care/Nursing Home/SNF, Home Health, or Pediatric facility hours will be required at the time of application.
Step 2 (Complete your Application):
The following information will be required for the application:
- Total university credits
- Grade and course requirements
- Core GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Core GPA courses completed: BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- May only be missing 2 of the General Education for Applied Associate Program Course Requirements; including a minimum of 4 Religion credits completed from the 200, 225, 250, and 275 requirement (all other required Religion courses may be taken during the PTA program)
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher
- Complete 2 letters of recommendation, one from each facility where you obtained your experience hours. Both recommendations need to be completed by the PT or PTA that you shadowed.
- You will need to request access to the letter of recommendation request.
- Follow the directions in the survey carefully, then send the link given in the survey to your desired reference (survey link can be used multiple times).
- Upload documentation of experience hours: 30 or more Outpatient Physical Therapy Clinic hours and 30 or more Acute Care, Rehab/Sub Acute Rehab, Extended Care/Nursing Home/SNF, Home Health, or Pediatric facility hours will be required by the time of application.
- Download the 2023 to present Experience Hours Form.
- Apply for a background check
- Start the background check
- Upload the medical exam form signed by a Physician
- Download the Medical Exam Form
- Verify that you have read Extra Cost Notification document
- View the Extra Cost Notification
- Verify that you have read the PTA Student Handbook Review
- View the PTA Student Handbook
After acceptance into the program, the following documentation will be due to the Health Programs Outreach Office (BEN 240, PTA@byui.edu) by October 30th (email PTA@byui.edu with any questions or concerns):
- A record of following immunizations:
- Tdap (within the last 10 years)
- MMR (vaccination dates (2) or positive titers)
- Hepatitis B (vaccination dates (3) or positive titer- some internship facilities may require the 3 vaccination dates, a current booster, and a responsive Hep B titer 4-6 weeks after the booster)
- Varicella/Chicken pox (vaccination dates (2) or positive titer)
- Annual flu vaccine (for the current flu season Oct thru March)
- Covid (vaccination dates (1) Johnson or (2) Maderna/Pfizer)
- CPR card (once it has been completed in class)
- 10- panel drug screen (obtained from a facility of your choice)
The following is required by December 1st:
Annual verification of a negative TB/PPD skin test report (a positive result requires a clear chest x-ray report) or a Quanti-FERON Gold TB lab result (preferred).
Some internship facilities may require a 2-step TB/PPD or Quanti-FERON Gold TB lab result (preferred).
A 2-step TB/PPD follows these guidelines:
- Visit 1, Day 1: PPD antigen is applied under the skin
- Visit 2, Day 3: PPD test is read (within 48-72 hrs of placement). If positive, it
indicates TB infection and a chest x-ray and further evaluation is necessary.
- Visit 3, Day 7-21: a second PPD skin test is applied (for those that test one
- Visit 4, 48-72 hours after placement: the second test is read. A positive 2nd test indicates TB in the past. Clear chest x-ray and further evaluation is necessary.
Please select the PTA Application Request Form below:
Fall 2023 PTA Application Request Form
The PTA Application will be added manually to your I-Learn/Canvas section on your BYU-I student account. If you do not see a timely response on this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a transfer student, have been accepted to BYU-Idaho, but have not yet taken any courses from BYU-Idaho, please email email@example.com using your BYU-Idaho email and an Application Form will be emailed to you.
If you encounter any issues with the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org