The BYU-I PTA program will accept applications during each Spring semester (April-July). Applications are due by 8 am (MT) the Monday before Spring graduation for the upcoming Fall semester.
Step 1 (Program Requirements):
- Apply to BYU-Idaho. You can begin your application on the Apply to Church Schools page
- Contact the College of Ag and Life Science (CALS) Academic Advising Center
- It is recommended that you complete at least 1 semester with 12 credit hours or more before applying to the program. Successful completion of at least 12 credits in once semester demonstrates your ability to maintain grades with a decent academic load.
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher. You must demonstrate a minimum of a "C" in all pre-requisite courses and the average GPA of the following "core courses" must also be 3.0 or higher: BIO 264/264L, BIO 265/265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- You must be able to graduate with the PTA degree with less than 120 credits OR graduate with less than 140 credits with a dual degree (BS & AAS). Please consider these limits when applying. View a listing of all PTA prerequisite and program courses. This will help you verify that you can graduate within these limits. For a specific grad plan, contact the CALS Advising Center.
- 60 hours of job shadowing experience. (20 in-patient and 40 Out-patient)
Step 2 (Complete your Application):
The following information will be required for the application:
- Planned start year
- Total university credits
- Grade and course requirements
- Core GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Core GPA courses completed: BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- May only be missing 2 of the General Education for Applied Associate Program Course Requirements; including a minimum of 4 Religion credits completed from the 200, 225, 250, and 275 requirement (all other required Religion courses may be taken during the PTA program)
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher
- Complete 2 letters of recommendation, one from each facility where you obtained your experience hours. Both recommendations need to be completed by the PT or PTA that you shadowed.
- You will need to request access to the letter of recommendation request.
- Follow the directions in the survey carefully, then send the link given in the survey to your desired reference (survey link can be used multiple times).
- Upload documentation of experience hours: 60 total hours are required (at least 20 hours in an in-patient setting).
- Download the experience hours form.
- Upload background check
- Start the background check
- Upload medical exam form signed by a Physician
- Download the medical exam form
- Verify that you have read Extra Cost Notification document
- View the Extra Cost Notification
- Verify that you have read the PTA Student Handbook Review
- View the PTA Student Handbook
After acceptance into the program, please email PTA@byui.edu the following by October 30th:
- A record of immunizations (the following immunizations are required):
- Tdap (within the last 10 years)
- MMR (vaccination dates (2) or positive titers)
- Hepatitis B (vaccination dates (3) or positive titer)
- Varicella/Chicken pox (vaccination dates (2) or positive titer)
- CPR card (once it has been completed in class)
- 10- panel drug screen
The following are required by the last day of Fall semester:
- Annual verification of a negative TB/PPD skin test report (a positive result requires a clear chest x-ray report)
- Annual flu vaccine (for Fall and Winter semesters)
*Update- A new PTA application is being created for the Fall 2022 Semester! The new application will be available during Winter 2022.
If you encounter any issues with the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org