Uphold the Student Honor Code at Home
BYU-Idaho Apartment Living Standards explicitly include the tenets of the Student Honor Code and the principles and guidelines found in For the Strength of Youth. The following sections are not intended to restate standards that students have already committed to uphold, but rather address unique conditions and standards specific to BYU-Idaho approved housing and single student apartment life.
Entertainment and Media
Landlords, managers, and students have a responsibility to filter and block material that is suggestive, vulgar, immoral, violent, illegal, or pornographic in any way. Internet access must specifically be filtered for Adult/Mature/Tasteless, Gambling, Nudity, Pornography, Proxy/Anonymizer (used to bypass filters), P2P/File Sharing (used for illegal downloading), Sexuality and all other inappropriate content categories.
Cable or satellite television must be filtered by R and NC-17 ratings as well as all inappropriate categories such as Language, Nudity, Violence, and Sexual Content. Most premium movie channels are considered inappropriate and must be filtered or blocked. Specific channels that often come with basic service and must also be blocked include MTV, VH-1, Comedy Central, and Spike. Any other visual or written material in the apartment should fall within the guidelines and standards in For the Strength of Youth.
Firearms and Weapons
Firearms, ammunition's, explosives, hunting bows, knives, swords, martial arts weapons, BB guns, pellet guns, paint-ball guns and any other device capable of inflicting injury or damaging property are prohibited on the premises of approved housing properties and in all approved housing apartments, including managers apartments.
Facsimiles or likenesses of firearms or dangerous weapons are also prohibited.
Curfew and Quiet Hours
- Students should be in their own apartments by midnight (12 a.m.) Saturday through Thursday
nights and 1 a.m. on Friday nights.
- Apartment visitors must leave in time to arrive at their own apartments by curfew.
- Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily and all day on Sunday.
Visitation by the Opposite Gender
Visitors to an apartment of the opposite gender must adhere to the following standards:
- There must always be at least three people in an apartment being visited by a member of the opposite gender.
- Men and women may visit apartments of the opposite gender between 10 a.m. and curfew.
- Visitors of the opposite gender are not allowed in bedrooms at any time.
- When civility requires and a public restroom is not readily available, visitors of the opposite gender may use the bathroom in the apartment.
- Where applicable, blinds must be open during visits by the opposite gender.
No pets of any kind are allowed in BYU-Idaho approved housing.