BYU-Idaho policy states that operators of ALL University motorized vehicles and equipment are required to have a current state driver's license and a BYU-Idaho Driving Permit.
- In order to operate any vehicle the driver must complete the Defensive Driving Course following Steps 1-5 outlines below.
- In order to operate 12-passenger vans the driver must complete the Defensive Driving Course following the steps outlined below. Upon successful completion this course the driver needs to contact Fleet Services at (208) 496-2561 and schedule a short behind-the-wheel driving test. At that time, please bring the completed and signed application with your current driver's license to Fleet Services. Before coming in for the behind-the wheel driving test you must fill out the application, making sure that the Department for whom you have been requested to drive has been signed.
- In order to operate a gator the driver must complete the Defensive Driving Course following steps outlined below. You will then need to contact the Safety Office at (208)496-3053 to request the training for gators. Before coming you must fill out the application, making sure that the Department for whom you have been requested to drive has been signed.
STEP 1: Please send an email to email@example.com and include the following:
- BYU-Idaho I-Number
- BYU-Idaho email address
- State (or international) Driver's License Number
- State (or international) Driver's License Expiration date
- Department driving vehicle for
STEP 2: You will receive an email indicating that you have been given access to the Defensive Driving Course.
- Click the following link to request access for Defensive Driving Course: https://lds.netdimensions.com
- Fill out the form using these credentials:
USER ID: Please provide your BYU-Idaho email address (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
PASSWORD: Please type in the numbers: 123456
VERIFY PASSWORD: Please retype the numbers: 123456. You will then be guided to create a password unique to you.
STEP 3: Click on the Defensive Driving link provided through the website (see below) and complete the course.
STEP 4: You will be notified of pass/fail grade. A passing grade is 90% or better. If you didn't receive this grade you will have to take the test again. You can then contact Fleet Services at (208) 496-2561 to schedule a behind-the-wheel driving test if you are going to drive a 12-passenger van.
STEP 5: Fill out the Driving Permit Application and bring it to Fleet Services where you will be given a permit to drive BYU-Idaho vehicles.