The BYU-I PTA program will accept applications during each Spring semester (April-July). Applications are typically accepted until the Monday before Spring graduation for the upcoming Fall semester. Applications for Fall 2020 will be due July 10, 2020.
Step 1 (Program Requirements):
- Apply to BYU-Idaho. You can begin your application on the Apply to Church Schools page
- Contact the College of Ag and Life Science (CALS) Academic Advising Center
- It is recommended that you complete at least 1 semester with 12 credit hours or more before applying to the program. Successful completion of at least 12 credits in once semester demonstrates your ability to maintain grades with a decent academic load.
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher. You must demonstrate a minimum of a "C" in all pre-requisite courses and the average GPA of the following "core courses" must also be 3.0 or higher: BIO 264/264L, BIO 265/265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- You must be able to graduate with the PTA degree with less than 120 credits OR graduate with less than 140 credits with a dual degree (BS & AAS). Please consider these limits when applying. View a listing of all PTA prerequisite and program courses. This will help you verify that you can graduate within these limits. For a specific grad plan, contact the CALS Advising Center.
- 60 hours of job shadowing experience. (20 in-patient and 40 Out-patient)
Step 2 (Complete your IPlace Application):
*More application instructions for Iplace can be found at the bottom of the page in step 3
The following information will be required for the application:
- Planned start year
- Total university credits
- Core GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Core GPA courses: BIO 264, BIO 264L, BIO 265, BIO 265L, HRHP 359, and HS 280.
- Religion (8 total credits): 4 credits must be from 200, 225, 250, and 275
- Overall GPA must be 3.0 or higher
- Complete 2 letters of recommendation, one from each facility where you obtained your experience hours. Both recommendations need to be completed by the PT or PTA that you shadowed.
- You will need to request access to the letter of recommendation request.
- Follow the directions in the survey carefully, then send the link given in the survey to your desired reference (survey link can be used multiple times).
- Upload documentation of experience hours: 60 total hours are required (at least 20 hours in an in-patient setting).
- Download the experience hours form.
- Upload background check
- Start the background check
- Upload medical exam form signed by a Physician
- Download the medical exam form
- Verify that you have read Extra Cost Notification document
- View the Extra Cost Notification
- Verify that you have read the PTA Student Handbook Review
- View the PTA Student Handbook
After acceptance into the program, please complete the following by October 30th:
- Upload record of immunizations (the following immunizations are required):
- Tdap (within the last 10 years)
- MMR (vaccination dates (2) or positive titers)
- Hepatitis B (vaccination dates (3) or positive titer)
- Varicella/Chicken pox (vaccination dates (2) or positive titer)
- Upload CPR card (completed in class)
- Upload 10 panel drug screen
The following are required by the last day of Fall semester:
- Annual verification of a negative TB/PPD skin test report (a positive result requires a clear chest x-ray report)
- Annual flu vaccine (for Fall and Winter semesters)
*Instructions for Iplace
- Please click this link to Begin the application to the PTA program: https://web.byui.edu/inplace/studentoptin
- Enter your I# and choose the PTA application: Please, note that you will not receive an email for now. You will have to wait overnight (as stated below) and then log into I-Place with your BYU-I username and Password. Follow the PowerPoint presentation below to guide you through the application.
- Wait overnight: for your request to be processed.
- Once processed, enter your information into I-Place using this link: https://iplace.byui.edu
Note: On the application, there is not a "Final Submit" button. All documents are uploaded individually by clicking the "submit" button provided for each section.
If you encounter any issues with the application, please try using another browser (Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox). If there are any further issues, please email email@example.com