Skip to main content

My Transfer Credit

University and College Credit

Your transfer credit must be from a regionally accredited institution and passed with a C- or higher. Transfer work is not calculated into your BYU-Idaho GPA. Any course work older than 10 years may only be accepted as elective credit.

Associate and Bachelor Degrees must be from regionally accredited institutions and may fulfill General Education requirements at BYU-Idaho.

Official transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail.


By Mail:
Brigham Young University–Idaho
Admissions Office
Kimball Building 120-1615
Rexburg, ID 83460

Various Credit Types and Policies

Religion Credit

Religion classes from Institute and other LDS Institutions will only be accepted under the following conditions:

  1. Course number is 100 or above.
  2. Must be taken for Church University credit (if the course was taken through Institute)
  3. Must be on an official college transcript (if the course was taken through another CES school such as BYU, BYU–Hawaii, Ensign College, or BYU–Jerusalem).
  4. An official transcript must be sent directly from the Institute or the CES school in order to receive consideration for transfer credit.

Religion Requirements

All BYU–Idaho degree-seeking students are required to complete BYU–Idaho religion credits and courses. The number of required religion credits and courses will vary based on the following factors:

  1. The type of BYU–Idaho degree being pursued.
  2. The amount of transfer credit already earned by the student.
  3. Previous LDS church school or CES Institute of Religion Credit earned. (LDS church school credit must be on an official university transcript. Institute of Religion Credit must be taken for Church University Credit and be noted as such on the official Institute transcript)

Go to Religion Requirements and Transfer Credit Waivers to determine the number of religion courses and credits required for your degree.

To access religion requirements for older catalog years, see the archived catalogs section of the Catalog.

Transcripts are typically evaluated and processed within 2-4 weeks after a student accepts their offer to attend BYU–Idaho and our office has received the official transfer transcripts. However, you can expect 4-6 weeks from June through September, due to the high volume of credit transferred at this time.

International Baccalaureate (IB) courses must be on an official International Baccalaureate transcript. To submit IB credit to BYU–Idaho, you will need to contact IB to request that your official transcripts be sent to BYU–Idaho. To make this request, consult the official IB website.
Students who complete IB courses with a grade of 5 or above may receive university credit in that subject area according to the approved IB chart.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) scores must be on an official College Level Examination Program transcript. Transcripts can be ordered by calling 1-800-257-9558 and the course code is 556. Earned credit hours will be posted as CLEP credit with a “P” (pass) grade. Such credit may not be converted to a letter grade. 

Students may receive University credit for CLEP exams as specified by the list found through the following link: CLEP Chart.

BYU–Idaho students can receive college credit if they earn a qualifying Advanced Placement (AP) test score. AP scores must be submitted to BYU–Idaho on an official Advanced Placement transcript. Scores on high school transcripts will not be accepted. Official AP transcripts can be ordered by calling 1-888-225-5427 or on the  AP Scores website and giving the school code of 4657.

Students who complete an AP exam with a score of 3 or above may receive University credit in that subject area according to this  AP Credit Chart. Please note that credit will not be awarded for subscores if the main exam does not earn a passing score.

For more information, visit the AP Central website.

International Transfer Credit

International transcripts are submitted to BYU–Idaho as part of the application process. Prospective BYU–Idaho students, please refer to the admission requirements for international students.

For international credits to be evaluated, students must:

  1. Accept their admission to BYU–Idaho.
  2. Provide a transcript of classes completed. An international credential evaluation agency must evaluate the transcript at the applicant's expense. Find more information about international transcripts on the admissions website.
  3. Provide course descriptions of courses that the student wants to transfer in English. Translated course descriptions will only be accepted if one the following conditions are met:
    1. The sending university provides an English translation.
    2. The transcripts are translated by an independent third-party (not family) translator.
  4. The country’s governing board recognizes the student's institution as an accredited institution, similar to a college or university in the United States. Institutions primarily focused on vocational and technical training are generally not transferable.

Once these conditions are met, transcript evaluators in the Student Records and Registration Office will evaluate courses for equivalencies at BYU–Idaho. Please be aware of the following restrictions on international transcripts:

  • Courses with failing grades will not be accepted.
  • Courses without an equivalent BYU–Idaho course will not be transferred to the University for credit consideration.
  • English courses taken in a country where English is not the primary language will not be accepted for meeting English requirements at BYU–Idaho.
  • Degrees earned at international institutions are not eligible for transfer.
  • Courses older than 10 years will only be considered for General Education requirements.

Official transcripts should be sent from previously attended colleges and universities to the Admissions Office by the application deadline.

Military Credit

BYU–Idaho accepts “Basic Training” military credit.

To transfer Military Credits earned through the Army, Navy, or Air Force, you will need to:

  1. Visit the following website: ArmyIgnitED
  2. Follow the instructions and fill out the required forms to submit transcripts to BYU–Idaho.

Concurrent or Dual Enrollment

Students may receive credit for courses previously taken through an early college program if those courses were administered from a regionally-accredited college or university and are recorded on an official college or university transcript. Courses recorded on a high school transcript will not receive credit. Official transcripts are transcripts mailed in a sealed envelope from the institution or through a secured third-party electronic transmission. BYU–Idaho will not evaluate transcripts submitted via fax or any other method deemed not secure by the University.

Official transcripts should be sent from previously attended colleges and universities to the Admissions Office by the application deadline in one of two ways:

Electronically through a third-party secured PDF to:

Physically from the transfer institution in a sealed envelope to:

Brigham Young University-Idaho
Admissions Office
Kimball Building 120-1615
Rexburg, ID 83460

For information on BYU-Idaho’s Concurrent Enrollment program, visit: Concurrent-Enrollment

Leaving BYU-Idaho

To transfer BYU-Idaho transcripts to another college or university, visit “Order a Transcript”.