Learn how your interests, personality, and talents can enhance a future career.
What are Freshman Focus Areas?
Need to decide on a major? We can help! The Freshman Focus Area program is a two-semester program for new freshman that helps you explore possible majors and careers. The goal of the program is to help you choose a major.
As part of the Freshman Focus Area program you will:
- Choose a focus area and take classes in your chosen area
- Take classes together in a cohort (a group of students taking the same classes)*
- Consult with career exploration advisors
How Freshman Focus Areas Benefit You
There are many advantages to choosing a major early. The Freshman Focus Area program can help you find a major you are passionate about.
Program benefits include:
- Make connections with other students who share your interests
- Get help with creating a class schedule and registering for classes
- Get support while deciding on your major and career
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions Page to read more about Freshman Focus Areas.
Choose one area of interest in the Freshman Focus Areas Program. The program allows you to explore the majors and careers tied to your interests.
Business, Communication, and Management Focus Area
Enthusiastic about business challenges and opportunities, you enjoy working with teams to evaluate data, identify problems, develop strategies, communicate solutions, and make improvements.
- Develop skills in business decision-making, leadership, and communication
- Learn about economics, accounting, communication and information management, marketing, business strategy, operations, finance, and analytics, and human resource management
- Explore careers in fields related to business and communication
Biology, Agriculture, and Health Science Focus Area
You are passionate about promoting healthy lifestyles, nutrition, and respect for our living world.
- Curiosity and concern for the natural world
- Learn about life sciences, nutrition, and healthy lifestyles
- Explore careers in nature conservation, health, and land management
Education Focus Area
The world is your classroom. You love to teach and shape the hearts and minds of the future.
- Love to teach and help others learn
- Learn about principles of teaching and classroom technology
- Explore careers in professional teaching
Family and Social Science Focus Area
You are fascinated with relationships and cultural influences on individuals, families, and communities.
- Fascinated by relationships and human development
- Learn more about psychology, politics, sociology, and family life
- Explore careers in counseling, social work, and human resources.
Fine Arts Focus Area
You connect creatively with the world through art, dance, music, and theater. The world is your stage.
- Love art, music, theater, or dance
- Learn more about history, forms, and individual creativity
- Explore careers in design, communication, theater, music, and visual arts
Humanities, Languages, and Public Service Focus Area
The language, literature, diversity, and rich history and background of other cultures fascinate you.
- Interest in different cultures, languages, and people
- Learn about literature, history, and social studies
- Explore careers in writing, administration, law, public relations, and politics
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Focus Area
Numbers and computers never get old. You love to learn how things work and solve problems.
- Critical thinker with interest in tech fields
- Learn about math, data science, physics, and chemistry
- Explore careers in web design, manufacturing, engineering, and technology