Power Outage Procedures
- Do not light matches or other flames inside buildings. Gas lines might be damaged and could ignite a fire or explosion.
- If you are on campus, shut off gas and electricity in your assigned work area.
- Do not use gas heaters or generators indoors. This will produce life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Leave one light on so you will know when the power is back on. Unplug all appliances to avoid a power surge when the power returns.
- Close refrigerator doors to keep food cold. If necessary, use a cooler to stuff ice around perishable food.
- If you are trapped in an elevator, do not panic. Personnel will arrive as soon as possible to assist you. Use the alarm in the elevator to alert others that you are trapped.
- Avoid unnecessary travel, especially in a car. Traffic lights will likely not be functioning and roads will be congested.
- Stay away from downed power lines and broken high-temperature waterlines.
- Shut off gas and electricity in your assigned work areas.