Class Planning

The Graduation Planner

The Grad Planner is an online tool designed to help you plan out your classes from your first semester through to graduation. Planning will help you graduate more efficiently. Students with high credit holds must submit a grad plan for approval to Academic Advising.

How do I use the Grad Planner

The Grad Planner is linked to your degree audit so you can easily see which classes you need to take. Simply drag and drop those classes into the semester you plan on taking the required class, clear any error messages that you receive and submit your plan for approval. Then, when registration opens, you will know exactly which classes you need to sign up for. Any classes not found under your Degree Audit tab can be found under the Electives tab.


FAQ About Class Planning

A: Students should be aware of the following credit requirements when deciding how many credits to take:

  • 12 credits are required to be considered a full-time student
  • 12 credits are required to receive a scholarship through BYU-Idaho with the exception of Academic Scholarships which require 14 credits
  • 15 credits are required to graduate in eight semesters or four years and for the Fast Grad program

A. No. In order to graduate within 8 semesters, you will need to be aware of sequencing in your major. Please see our Recommended Course Sequences.

A: When a class you want to add is full, consider the following options:

    1. Take it at another time. The most desirable class times fill quickly. Often, early morning or late afternoon sections remain open. It is better to have the class at an inconvenient time than not to have it at all. (Remember, each semester you will get an earlier registration and more class choices as your credits accumulate.)
    2. Keep checking back. Seats open up in filled sections frequently as students rearrange their schedule and add and drop classes. If there is a class you really want, keep checking back to see if a seat opens up.
    3. Even though a certain schedule of classes is recommended there are many alternatives. If you meet the pre-requisites, almost any course is available to you. For Foundation classes, feel free to look at second and third semester recommendations for more class options. If you need help identifying other class choices contact your major's Academic Advising.
    4. As a last resort, students can go to the class they'd like to add on the first day of the semester. Often, teachers will have a few seats they can assign that day.


    A: If you are a transfer student without an associate (AS or AA) degree you may have some transfer classes that can substitute to fulfill our Foundations requirements. Depending on your major, you can meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising to see if substitutions can be made. If you are a transfer student with an associate (AS or AA) degree from a regionally accredited instituion your Foundations requirements are complete except for FDREL 200 and remaining religion requirements.

    A: Every student is assigned a faculty mentor. However, in regard to class planning, students do not generally meet with their faculty mentor until their junior year. Faculty mentors mostly help with upper-division class planning as it relates to career strategy and graduate school.

    As freshmen and sophomores, students receive advising help from their major's Advising Center. Satellite Advisors are experts in class planning for their particular areas. Also, there is the Academic Advising, which is the center over general advising for Foundation requirements and major/career exploration.

    For more information on finding your advisor, click here.

    A: Changing majors and minors cannot be done online. Instead, to declare/change your major or minor, please visit the Advising Center over the new major you'd like to declare.

    A: Some majors require you to have a minor or clusters, while others do not. To find out about your major's specific requirements check the Catalog for details. If you have any questions once you have checked the catalog, please contact your major's Advising Center.

    A: If you are unsure about what you want to declare for a major or pursue as a career, we recommend taking General Studies 100 (GS 100), Career Exploration. The 1 credit class is designed to assist in making a decision concerning your career or major. Career assessments will help you assess personal interests, work styles, preferences, and skills to determine your career path. At the conclusion of the class, you will gain a better understanding of the job market and careers available to you.

    A: We have an excellent site called Careers to Majors that recommends majors that will help qualify you for your career goals. We also have a site called Majors to Careers that can help you figure out what to do with your major once you enter the workforce.

    Major to Career

    A: Helpful class planning links include:

    1. Catalog - The catalog is very useful not only to look at classes, but for other campus policies and rules. Most questions you have can be answered by looking in the catalog.
    2. Foundations - Foundation classes are required for all new students.
    3. Academic Advising - The Academic Advising can help with general class planning. The Advising Center can help with major class planning.
    4. Grad Planner - Plan out your class sequencing from your first semester to graduation.

    A: You have the option of taking night classes through Community Connections or taking online classes.

    A: There are a couple different methods of recieving credit for foreign language classes—examinations or vertical credit. Here are some additional resources on recieving credit for foreign languages:


    contact icon

    building icon  Chapman 101

    phone icon  208-496-9800

    email icon