Frequently Asked Questions

How do we propose a new society?

There are certain qualifications that need to be fulfilled in order to be considered for annual recognition. 

How is a society funded?

There are two ways that societies can be funded. University societies may request a $100 budget that can be awarded each semester by the Academic Leadership Office. They may also request dues from society members in order to gain additional revenues for the society. Department Societies receive their funding from Department Stewardship Review (See page 7 of the Societies Handbook for more information).

What forms do we need to submit each semester?

Every semester, an updated Student Leadership Form, must be submitted to the Academic Leadership Office. Bylaws for each society need to be updated and submitted to the Academic Leadership Office every calendar year.

Who is responsible for the society's webpage?

Once the leadership form is received by the Academic Leadership Office, the information will be updated by the Academic Society student staff. Any changes to the site must be emailed to

Is a society allowed to fund raise or advertise for outside business, organizations, etc,?

Societies are not allowed to fundraise or take donations. The Student Policy states: 

Sales, solicitations, and sponsorships by outside businesses, agencies, individuals, and for-profit or not-for-profit organizations are prohibited on campus. Financial sponsorship or advertising by private business is not allowed on campus. No commercial advertising is allowed on event programs, backs of tickets, or any other BYU-Idaho publication. At the invitation of the institution, written recognition may be given.  

How do we advertise on campus?

Review the marketing tips for campus for information. For further assistance please speak with University Relations.  

What are the policies for inviting guest speakers?

Non-staff or non-faculty speakers must be approved one month before they are due to speak. Society leaders must complete the Speaker Request Form and submit to the Academic Leadership Office.

Are we allowed to travel for society activities?

Yes, however, any travel arrangements must be approved by the Academic Leadership Office. A group travel application will need to be completed and approved before the trip.

Do we receive reimbursement for funds that are spent on travel?

Yes, all receipts must be submitted by the faculty advisor. An additional signature is required. For department societies the department chair's signature is required. For University Societies, Scott Galer's signature is required. These are then sent to the Accounting Office for reimbursement. Receipts may be submitted via email to or via campus mail to: Academic Leadership Office, Kimball 210, +1690.