Social Work is the application of theory, knowledge, skills, and values to enhance the social functioning of all people.
Social Work majors are required to do two 250-hour internships, for a total of 500 hours. An internship fair will be held to help students secure placements.
Social Work Society
Get involved and network with others interested in social work by joining the Social Work Society.
Standards for Social Work Students
Become familiar with the standards social work students are required to follow.
Learning Outcomes and Program Manuals
Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes
View the official learning outcomes assessment to better understand what students can expect when they've completed the BYU-Idaho Social Work program.
Student Manual (doc)
The Student Manual provides an overview of the department, program, course work, program expectations, and more.
Social Work focuses on people who are disadvantaged, disabled or otherwise limited in their ability to participate fully in society. Social workers engage with individuals, small groups, and communities to accomplish this purpose. Students in the Social Work program will to do the following:
- Prepare to be a professional social worker by learning to act rather than be acted upon.
- Understand and apply social work professional values, ethics, and principles to social work practice.
- Use critical thinking skills within the context of professional social work practice.
- Develop professional knowledge and skills.
- Develop an understanding of human diversity, discrimination, oppression, and the mechanisms to advance or advocate for social and economic justice.
- Develop the ability to evaluate and conduct research.
- Apply knowledge of human behavior in the social environment.
- Learn to provide leadership in social policy and social service.
- Learn to effectively work with organizations and social systems, to seek necessary change and services.
- Apply generalist social work knowledge and skills with systems of all sizes.
- Apply and integrate generalist social work practice in a Christian way.
- Explore fields of social work practice in greater depth through course work and internship experiences.