The Department of Sociology and Social Work is concerned with the social causes and consequences of human behavior. Subject matter ranges from the immediate family to the hostile mob, from crime to religion, from the divisions of race and social class to the shared beliefs of a common culture. Our mission is to help students:
- Incorporate Christian service into their careers and personal lives.
- Gain an appreciation of the social and cultural influences affecting individuals, families, and society as a whole.
- Prepare for advanced study and careers in a variety of fields including sociology, social work, and criminology.
- Attain knowledge of culture, the social environment, and social justice in ways that will foster successful human interaction and function in society.
- Use and integrate social work knowledge, values, and skills in preparation for professional social work employment and for their roles as citizens and parents.
- Become competent and effective communicators.