Therapeutic Recreation (or TR) is one of the fastest growing health-related professions. Certified TR specialists serve individuals with developmental, mental, and physical disabilities. They may also serve senior citizens and youth who are at risk in both the institutional and community settings. Other settings could include hospitals, nursing homes, correctional facilities, wilderness programs, community centers, and senior centers.

The TR program is an emphasis you can choose within the Recreation Management major. The program allows students the opportunity to become certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).

Frequently Asked Questions

Who would like TR?

Therapeutic Recreation is the path for you if you enjoy:
Serving other people in various capacities.
The outdoors, physical activities, and other forms of unconventional therapy.
Interacting with the senior citizens, people with developmental, mental, and physical disabilities, or youth.

TR would make it possible for you to serve others for a living.

Careers in TR

Recreation Therapist
Director of Therapeutic Recreation
Activity Therapy
Adjunct Therapies
Senior Citizen Programmer
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Supervisor
Clinical Specialist
Health care Consultant
Senior Therapist

For Therapeutic Recreation Certification Standard

The academic path to become certified as a CTRS (Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist) requires a major in recreation or leisure with an option in therapeutic recreation.  A minimum of 18 semester hours of therapeutic recreation and general recreation content coursework with no less than a minimum of 9 semester hours in therapeutic recreation content.  Supportive courses to include a total of 18 semester hours of support coursework in the content area of anatomy and physiology, abnormal psychology and human growth and development across the lifespan. (see page 6 of certification standards)  There are other paths explained.

National Council of Therapeutic  Certification Standards  See your advisor in the Recreation Management Office for more information on a path so you can sit for the test to become a CTRS.