Image of musical instruments sitting on a table.

Learn about music permission requirements and available resources for department and student project needs.


  • University Contracted Vendor - Save time getting releases, spending money, and avoiding lawsuits for your department by using a music library that has been contracted by the BYU-Idaho David O. McKay Library.
    • This collection has over 30,000 production music tracks that are covered by a blanket license agreement so that the university can use them to create videos, plays, dance performances, advertisements, and other campus productions. Student academic projects and productions, choreography, and theatre productions along with DVD production rights are all included in the license terms. 
      Get access to the library
  • DIY - Using music from students, artists, or other downloadable websites will need to be reviewed by the University's Digital Content/Intellectual Property Rights Specialist - Nate Wise. Getting permissions from artists, music publishers, and others can take several weeks or months. Costs can also be high, especially when requesting use and distribution in performances, online, or other mediums. Please plan well in advance and have an alternative if you plan on acquiring rights.