Frequently Asked Questions

McKay 172
(208) 496-2400 

 Below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding academic societies. This page is to be used as a quick reference for society advisors and student officers. For additional questions, please refer to the Handbook.

1. How do we propose a new society?

There are certain qualifications that need to be fulfilled in order to be considered for annual recognition. Please follow this link to find out more information.  

2. How is a society funded?

There are two ways that societies can be funded. University societies may request a $100 budget that can be awarded each semester by the Office of Faculty Development. They may also request dues from society members in order to gain additional revenues for the society. Department Societies receive their funding from Department Stewardship Review. (see page 7 of the societies handbook for more information)

3. What forms do we need to send in each semester?

Every semester, an updated Student Leadership Form, must be turned in to the Academic Office. Bylaws for each society need to be updated and turned in to the Academic Office every calendar year.

4. Who is responsible for the society's webpage?

A member of the student society leadership is responsible for maintaining the webpage. The Society President should email Shirley Hawkes, at, the name of the student in charge of the website. She will then register the student in order to have permission in editing the webpage. She will also provide the student with information on who to consult with regarding training of editing the webpage.

5. Is a society allowed to fund raise or advertise for outside business, organizations, etc,?

Societies are not allowed to fundraise or take donations. The Student Policy states: Sales, solicitations, and sponsorships by outside businesses, agencies, individuals, and for-profit or not-for-profit organizations are prohibited on campus.   Financial sponsorship or advertising by private business is not allowed on campus. No commercial advertising is allowed on event programs, backs of tickets, or any other BYU-Idaho publication. At the invitation of the institution, written recognition may be given.  

6. How do we advertise on campus?

See the attached document for useful tips on marketing on campus. For further assistance please speak with University Communications.  

7. What are the policies for inviting guest speakers?

Non-staff or non-faculty speakers must be approved one month before they are due to speak. Please refer to the University Relations website for more information. Society leaders must also fill out the Speaker Request Form and turn it in to the Academic Office.  

8. Are we allowed to travel for society activities?

Yes, however any travel arrangements must be approved by the current Academic Office. Please see this link for more information. A group travel application will need to be completed and approved before the trip.

9. Do we receive reimbursement for funds that are spent on travel?

Yes, all receipts must be turned in with a completed and signed check request by the faculty advisor. An additional signature is required. For department societies the department chair's signature is required. For University Societies, Sid Palmer's signature is required. These are then sent to the Accounting Office for reimbursement. 

University Message