Auto Accidents

What if we have an automobile accident?

If there is an accident involving a BYU-Idaho vehicle (or a rental company vehicle rented for BYU-Idaho business), the driver is required to contact Fleet Services at 496-2466 in addition to their supervisor as soon as possible after the accident.
Employees who get in a serious accident while on University business in their private automobiles should report this to Financial Services in addition to their own car insurance company.

Who is BYU-Idaho's automobile insurance company?

BYU-Idaho does not technically have an automobile insurance company. BYU-Idaho is self-insured, but we do have an insurance company that handles BYU-Idaho accidents that involve claims against BYU-Idaho. The insurance card in your vehicle should list National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pitts. The claims are handled by their subsidiary, Sedgwick Insurance. Contact Financial Services for further information.

Certificates of Insurance

Entities require proof of insurance from BYU-Idaho.

The easiest and quickest way is to obtain Memorandum of Insurance. The second option is to make a request for an insurance certificate. It is important that this process is started well ahead of time. Typically the request is for proof of general-liability insurance. Sometimes they will want proof of other types of insurance or additional terms to be put on our certificate. Consult with Financial Services (ext. 1901) on any special requests.

BYU-Idaho requires proof in insurance from someone else.

This is typically required when dealing with large numbers of vendors, contractors, and charters. BYU-Idaho at a minimum requires general liability coverage of $1,000,000. Consult with Financial Services when a company wants to use campus facilities. In some cases, they may need to provide proof of insurance naming BYU-Idaho as a certificate holder.

Field Trip Insurance

What is Field Trip Insurance?

Insurance that can be purchased by a department for students and volunteers that will participate in University-sponsored, scheduled, and supervised activities.

What does the Field Trip Insurance cover?

The insurance provides a small amount of coverage for accidental bodily injuries that may occur while participating in the activity. It typically is enough to cover students' out-of-pocket expenses if an accident occurs. This policy does not cover medical illness or things not caused by accident or injury. Contact Financial Services (ext. 1901) for details and limits of coverage. The insurance is secondary insurance, meaning all participants in the activity are required to have their own primary medical insurance.

Is my department required to purchase Field Trip Insurance for any or all kinds of its field trips?

No. It is up to each department to decide if and when to purchase Field Trip Insurance. Some activities are inherently more risky than others; however, accidents including slips/falls do occur and are covered with this insurance.

How much is the insurance?

The Field Trip Insurance is typically $0.65 per student per day. For more risky activities, the premium increases. See chart below.


Type Rate
I Standard - low risk/limited exertion (i.e. indoor activities, walking tours, museums, city centers, etc.) $0.65
II Rilflery $0.73
III Scuba Diving $5.35
IV River Rafting and Kayaking $3.23
V Planned Athletic Activities (i.e. ropes course, hiking, camping, mtn biking, cycling, x-country skiing, etc.) $2.40
VI Downhill Skiing/Cave Crawling/Rock Climbing/Rappelling $3.23

How does my department sign up for coverage?

Coverage can be procured from Financial Services by completing the Field Trip Insurance Form. Please submit the form no later than seven (3) days before departing for the trip. Changes can be made up to the day before departure.

Who pays for the coverage?

Coverage can be paid for in one of two ways. The sponsoring department can pay for the coverage or the department can pass the expense onto the student by increasing the cost of any class or program fees. Separate fees for the coverage should not be collected from the participants.

What do I do? There was an injury or accident on the field trip.

The first thing to do is to take care of the individual and get them the medical attention that they need. As soon as possible after the incident occurs, contact Financial Services at 208-496-1901 to report the incident. They will provide further instructions on how to file a claim on the Field Trip Insurance policy. Not all injuries will be covered. Never tell a student that the Field Trip Insurance or the University will pay for their injury. Have them contact Financial Services at 208-496-1901 in addition to submitting the claim to their personal insurance provider. If the claim is approved by the University's insurance company, the Field Trip Insurance will provide coverage only AFTER the student's personal insurance.

What if we will be traveling outside the US?

There is a separate insurance policy that is mandatory for international travel. See GeoBlue International Travel Insurance.

GeoBlue International Travel Insurance

What is GeoBlue International Travel Insurance?

Insurance that is mandatory for any University-sponsored travel outside of the US. This includes tours and performance groups, employee travel, and international internships.

What does the GeoBlue International Travel Insurance cover?

The insurance provides excellent medical coverage while traveling outside the US. This policy covers both accidental medical and illnesses. We have recently added political, security, and natural disaster evacuation coverage to the policy.
Contact Travel Administration (ext. 1974) for details and limits of coverage. GeoBlue insurance is secondary insurance, meaning all participants in the activity are required to have their own primary medical insurance.

Does this policy provide any coverage inside the US?

No. This policy provides no coverage inside the US.

What other services are provided from GeoBlue with this policy?

In addition to providing medical coverage, GeoBlue provides an online service that can be accessed at Through this website students and supervisors can access translation guides (including medical terms and drug names), qualified physicians, and important information on traveling in that country.

Is my department required to purchase the International Travel Insurance for any or all of its international trips?

Yes! All departments sponsoring traveling internationally need to complete the Insurance Roster.

How much is the insurance?

The GeoBlue insurance is currently $11.20 per participant, per week and can only be purchased for whole weeks.

How does my department sign up for coverage?

Coverage can be procured from Travel Administration by completing the Insurance Roster. Please submit the form no later than thirty (15) days before departing for the trip.

Who pays for the coverage?

Coverage can be paid for in one of two ways. The sponsoring department can pay for the coverage or the department can pass the expense onto the participant by increasing the cost of the travel by the insurance premium amount. Separate fees for the coverage should not be collected from the participants for any areas outside of Internships.

What do I do? There was an accident, illness, or medical emergency while my group was out of the US.

The first thing to do is to take care of the individual and get them the medical attention that they need. For 24/7 medical evacuation and emergency assistance, call GeoBlue collect from outside the US at 1(610)254-8771. They can direct you to a nearby hospital or doctor. As soon as possible after the incident occurs, contact Travel Administration at 1(208)496-1974 to report the incident and begin filing the insurance claim. Not all injuries will be covered. Never tell a student that the GeoBlue insurance or the University will pay for their injury. Have them contact Financial Services at (208)496-1901.


What about injuries? How are they covered?

For injuries to employees that happen on-the-job, contact the Safety Office (ext. 3053) for questions regarding Worker's Compensation.
For injuries to students, guests, tenants, and visitors that you witness or that happen in your department's area, fill out and submit the Incident Report FormNever tell the injured individual that the University is liable and/or recommend that they file a claim. If the individual asks, have them contact Financial Services at (208)496-1901. Financial Services will determine if the University is liable and to what extent.
The Injury Report Form by itself does not make a claim against the University. It is up to the injured party to contact Financial Services to make a claim. Most injuries that happen on BYU-Idaho property or during a BYU-Idaho activity are NOT covered by BYU-Idaho. If someone asks about BYU-Idaho paying their bills, do not promise payment. Recommend that they call Financial Services in addition to their own medical insurance.


What about lawsuits and civil rights claims etc.?

If a lawsuit has been filed or a claim is being made against you or your department for money or other compensation, or a violation of civil rights is alleged, notify Financial Services as soon as possible. Financial Services will notify General Counsel as needed. All lawsuits are answered through General Counsel.

Property Loss

How is BYU-Idaho owned property covered?

BYU-Idaho covers all of its property while it is anywhere in the world. This includes BYU-Idaho property shipped without shipping insurance.

How does my department make a claim?

If the loss is over $250, fill out the BYU-Idaho Property Loss form and submit it to Financial Services for consideration. Keep in mind that not all losses are covered. Coverage is based on a standard, commercial property-insurance policy. Failure to complete this form in a timely manner may result in denial of the claim.

I submitted a claim to Financial Services, but I have not heard anything further.

If you haven't received follow-up information on your claim, call 496-1901. If you don't have your actual claim number, it helps to have the occurrence date you put down on the claim form, to help track your claim.

Does my department have to replace the lost property before it can be reimbursed?

Usually. Before money can be paid, your department may need to document that the money was used to replace the lost property and not applied to other budget areas. If your department will not replace the property unless it's sure insurance will cover it, check with Financial Services for coverage before buying the replacement.

Can we submit proof of replacement with a Purchase Order or a Purchase Requisition, Delivery Receipt, or an Internet Order Confirmation?

Yes, although a receipt or invoice is the preferred proof. In the case of a repair, a repair estimate or repair bill is acceptable.

How does our department get paid for a claim?

Financial Services will credit your account, typically the same account the replacement item is charged to, unless specified otherwise.

Do we have to provide the BYU-Idaho inventory tag numbers on the property?

Only if you have them. University capital equipment (cost more than $2,500) should have a tag. Equipment acquired under sponsored contracts and designated per contract/grant should also have a tag number. You can contact the Fixed Asset Control Specialist at ext. 1991 with inventory (tag) number questions.

What about employee-owned, personal property damaged on the job?

There are certain circumstances where this type of property is covered. Contact Financial Services at ext. 1901 for further details.

Rental Vehicles

Should I purchase the "Extra Insurance?"

Review Travel Policies and Procedures prior to renting a vehicle.
It is strongly encouraged that rental cars be arranged through the Travel Office (ext. 2340) for travel not originating in Rexburg. There are two rental companies (Hertz and National) that BYU-Idaho has contracted with through the Church where the "extra insurance" is included in the corporate/standard rate when renting and driving a vehicle in any of the 50 US States. Any damage to the rental vehicles is covered by the rental company rather than BYU-Idaho's insurance fund. If the Travel Office is not used to book your rental, please use the links located on the Travel Office's website to ensure that the insurance and applicable fees are handled correctly.
Please note that though it is not required to rent vehicles with your BYU-Idaho corporate card*, in the case of Hertz, the CDP-ID number (44292) must be noted on the Rental Agreement for the Church contract and rate to apply. Either company (Hertz or National) may require proof of employment by the BYU-Idaho renter (such as your Employee ID Card).
Some personal credit cards or personal automobile insurance companies will cover damage to a rental vehicle if you use that card to rent the vehicle and the card's conditions are met, and their coverage is listed as primary. Please check your credit card agreement for the coverage if renting using a personal card.
*Use of the BYU-Idaho corporate card is encouraged because of year-end corporate rebates as well as additional insurance in an accident were to occur.

What about liability such as bodily injury and property damage to others?

Liability insurance for damage to vehicles other than your rental and injuries to someone other than yourself: Hertz provides to BYU-Idaho 100/300/25** primary coverage for liability. National provides 100/300/100. Other rental companies usually have at least the local state minimum limits and are usually primary. BYU-Idaho also has an insurance fund for this category with higher limits which would most likely be secondary to the rental company's coverage. Claims are administered for BYU-Idaho by Sedgwick Insurance. Payment for a liability claim is contingent upon legal liability and state law and it might not provide coverage if the accident happened on your personal time.
**Bodily Injury Max Per-Person/Bodily Injury Max Per-Accident/Property Damage Max Per-Accident

What about Foreign Rentals?

Damage to rented vehicles in foreign countries is also covered by the BYU-Idaho insurance fund, but in some countries it may be worth it for the department to purchase the rental companies' "extra insurance" to avoid delays in employees' schedules if it is the practice in a country to detain the driver, renter, or their property pending payment for the vehicle damage.
Some foreign rental agreements provide some liability insurance also or you can purchase it for a fee as part of the rental agreement. BYU-Idaho's insurance fund provides liability insurance. However, this is contingent on legal liability and might not be covered if the accident happened while on your personal time.
BYU-Idaho insurance applies while you are using the rental for BYU-Idaho business. Though your department might allow you flexible use of the rental vehicle, BYU-Idaho insurance does not apply while the rental is being used for personal use (including, but not limited to vacation time before or after a business conference). Other insurance may apply in either scenario such as your own auto insurance (check with your agent beforehand for coverage and limits) and/or insurance carried by the rental company.

Who is covered by BYU-Idaho's insurance fund for rental vehicles and when are they covered?

Generally, once the vehicle is rented by the employee, any driver that has the employee's permission to drive and who qualifies in the eyes of the rental company (usually > age 21 with a valid license) and who is listed with the rental company as a driver of that specific vehicle. It is important that any drivers also have a University Driving Permit.

How do I report a rental vehicle accident?

When you are involved in an accident, in addition to local legal requirements, notify the rental company. You will be required to fill out their accident report form. The driver must also contact Fleet Services (496-2466) ASAP. You may also need to report the accident to your own auto insurance, particularly if it happened on your personal time.