Social Media and Ingeniux
Social media can be an effective communication tool to communicate with students. When your department shares a page from their website on social media, content is displayed automatically but you can control what content is shared. For an easier and more accurate way to share content from your department's website, use the following tutorial.
This is an example of what the content would look like on Facebook before you make changes on the "byui.edu/art/advising" webpage.
Follow these steps to modify what content automatically appears on social media:
- Login to the BYUI web builder tool Ingeniux and find the page that you want to edit.
- Click on the social media tab under the “Edit” tab.
- Fill out the forms with the proper social media information. This is the content social media sites pull from to display in share windows.
- Title: The title is the same as the title on the webpage.
- Description: The description previews what content is on the page.
- Image: The image selected will be displayed every time the URL is shared. Make sure the image is relevant to the content on the page and engaging.
- Videos: Videos aren't traditionally used for social media shares but are recommended for use in individual posts. This is an option if the content is changed out frequently with new content.
Note: For images, you need to use at least a 200x200 pixel image or larger.
This is an example of a Facebook share box after all the fields have been filled out, on the social media tab in Ingeniux.
You can also see what Facebook is showing for your page by visiting the "Sharing Debugger." Enter the URL of a page, then request to "Scrape Again". This also updates the metadata Facebook uses for shares in the real world.