For BYU-Idaho international students, this information provides additional clarification regarding COVID-19 precautions recently implemented on campus, especially in regard to travel and immigration status. Our highest priority is to help international students maintain their immigration status and provide as much flexibility as possible for planning and decision making.
BYU-Idaho recently announced that all campus face-to-face courses will be delivered remotely during Spring Semester 2020. (Online courses will continue as scheduled.) In light of this announcement, and with guidance received from the Student & Exchange Visitor Program, International Services has implemented temporary procedures for Spring Semester. These procedures will help international students maintain immigration status while enrolled in online and/or remote courses.
- Whether in or outside the U.S., if international students are required to be fully enrolled during the Spring Semester 2020, students may choose one of the following options:
- Register for at least 6 credits (any combination of online and/or remote will count), or
- Request an annual break/deferment at https://international.byui.edu—this request can be made for international students who would not normally be eligible. This option will require students to be fully enrolled in 12 credits during both Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 semester.
- Before considering traveling, please review CDC travel guidelines.
- Courses may be taken in or outside the U.S. during Spring Semester. However, there may be restrictions:
- If traveling outside the country, travel restrictions may negatively impact the ability to return to the U.S.
- BYU-Idaho will not penalize international students if they are outside the U.S. longer than 5 months because of COVID-19; however, extended travel outside the U.S. may impact immigration status, which is beyond the control of BYU-Idaho.
- If fully enrolled (registered for 6 or more credits), international students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week.
- If taking an annual break, international students may work on campus more than 20 hours per week, as long they are not fully enrolled (for 6 or more credits).
- If international students are not taking an annual break and are not enrolled for at least 6 credits, they are out of status and need to immediately contact International Services.
Effective Monday March 23rd, the International Services office will provide all services remotely. For questions not answered above, please contact International Services through email at email@example.com. We are prepared to respond quickly to questions. We can also accommodate phone calls and virtual appointments via Zoom, as needed.
For current and official BYU-Idaho communication regarding COVID-19, visit the I-Prepare website.