- Ph.D. 2010 University of Missouri, Mathematics Education
- M.A. 2006 Brigham Young University, Mathematics Education
- B.A. 2000 Brigham Young University, Mathematics Education
- Developing curriculum and learning experiences that support beginning teachers in creating robust and creative mathematics learning experiences.
- Creating a backyard garden utopia.
- University Professor of Mathematics Teacher Education since 2010
- Elementary Mathematics Instructional Coach
- Professional Development Leader
- High School Mathematics Teacher
- Matt’s interest is in mathematics teacher knowledge and learning and helping students develop an awareness of the discipline of mathematics as a creative science.
- Continuously improving the curriculum, assessments, and learning of students in elementary mathematics courses.
Matt is from Baker City Oregon. His ambitions have always been to have a happy and Christ-centered home life and to be the best mathematics teacher possible. He married Holly Johnson six years after they met at Rick’s College and they have five daughters. After teaching mathematics in California for three years he earned his master and doctorate degree in mathematics education. He has conducted original research on mathematics teacher knowledge and goals as well as teachers’ learning from and experience with problem-based curriculum. He has provided professional development in the area of problem-based mathematics teaching and has worked as an elementary mathematics instructional coach.