Representatives of the Idaho State Tax Commission will be on campus in February to lead a group presentation on preparing your Federal and Idaho Taxes. This service is FREE of charge and is provided by International Services and the Idaho State Tax Commission.  Due to the content and individual applications for taxes, this presentation cannot be streamed, recorded, or viewed online. 

All international students are required legally to file tax forms for 2019, whether you worked or not. Individual appointments cannot be scheduled and this tax seminar is only offered once a year for campus-based students. Attendance is required.  This seminar is the only opportunity that you will have to receive help from International Services with your taxes.

Note:  If you entered the United States for the first time in 2020 you do not need to attend the workshop. 

Date:  February 19 and February 24
Location: Taylor Building – Cultural Hall
Time:  Arrive 30 minutes before your session begins to check-in.   Bring a pencil, eraser, pen, and notebook.  You will need to stay the duration of the session to complete the process of filing your taxes. 

You will need to attend only 1 session.  You will not be able to attend more than 1 session.  The session dates and times are listed below.  Sign up times will be required and sign up times will be open on January 8. You will receive an email on January 8 with a link to sign up for the times.

February 19:  12:00pm—2:00pm OR 3:00pm – 5:00pm OR 6:30pm—8:30pm
February 24:  12:00pm—2:00pm OR 3:00pm – 5:00pm OR 6:30pm—8:30pm

International students on F-1 or J-1 status in the U.S. for less than 6 years are not allowed to file form 1040 and claim the U.S. education credits and earned income credit. It is illegal to use HR Block, Turbo Tax, or any other free filling services provided online.



Each of you is required to file Form 8843 for yourself, your spouse and any dependents even if you had no U.S. source income. If you had U.S. source income (wages or scholarship) or had health insurance through the healthcare exchange, you may also need to file Form 1040 NR and Idaho Form 43. 

Each of you will need to bring the following items with you to the seminar for us to help you prepare your return:

  1. Your W-2 forms. (Form sent to you by your employer reporting wages you received.)
  2. Your Form 1042S received from the university or an employer (Reports Scholarships & Compensation during study and training) Note: Not everyone will receive a 1042S.

Bring the following general information for you, your spouse, and dependents: 

  1. Type of U.S. Visa
  2. Current nonimmigrant status: As reported on your Form I-94
  3. Your passport number
  4. Actual number of days you were present in the U. S. during 2017, 2018, and 2019
  5. Dates you entered and left the United States during 2019 (This is on your I-94 form)
  6. Total of your contributions to U.S. Charities (Tithing & Fast Offerings)
  7. If you filed taxes last year, a copy of last year’s return.

  Insurance Information 

  1. Copy of Form 1095-A if you purchased health insurance through the Health Insurance Exchange.
  2. If you paid for your own insurance with either your own money or with a scholarship, you need to bring documentation showing how much you paid in 2019.