Applying to BYU-Idaho

International students that want to attend BYU-I can find information about how to apply online  here. Questions about applying and admission to BYU-I should be directed to the Admissions office.

Admissions E-mail Address -

Admissions Phone Number - (208) 496-1411

Form I-20

After international students (transfer students included) have been admitted to BYU-Idaho, received a track assignment, and accepted their offer, they can begin to apply for Form I-20.

The Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, is a U.S. Department of Homeland Security document issued to F-1 international students who have been accepted into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified school. This form is issued by International Services at BYU-I.

International students will receive a Form I-20 from their designated school official (DSO). Students must also obtain a Form I-20 for any eligible dependents (spouse or children) they plan to bring to the U.S. F-1 Students must be issued an I-20 before scheduling a visa interview. The Form I-20 is required for international students to obtain a student visa, to enter the U.S., and to study in the U.S. The Form I-20 establishes that a student meets the basic criteria for non-immigrant student status. 

International students should be aware of the following items needed to apply for Form I-20:

  • Copy of Passport
  • Proof of Funds
    • Prospective international students must provide proof of credible sources of funding. This is required to show that the student has enough resources to study and live in the US for the entirety of their educational program.
    • There are multiple acceptable forms of proof of funds:
      • Personal bank statements
      • Family bank statements
      • Documentation from a sponsor
      • Financial aid such as loans or scholarships
      • All bank statements must be in English whether it be provided by the bank or translated by a professional
      • A letter issued by the bank stating the amount of funds available
    • Proof of funds must be liquidated money – able to withdraw from it at any time.
    • If a student is being sponsored, they will need to provide information about their sponsor in the application. Their sponsor will be contacted by International Services.
    • International students will need to show proof of funds to cover their first year of schooling:
      • $12,500 USD for LDS students
      • $16,500 USD for Non-LDS students
    • A deposit is required for all international students. It must be paid before International Services will issue an I-20.
      • $4,000 USD for LDS students
      • $6,000 USD for Non-LDS students
    • Additional information regarding financial requirements can be found in the I-20 Application. 
  • Complete the Financial Readiness Module on Canvas (ILearn
    • Students will be added to ILearn and the course soon after being admitted to school.
    • This module is to help international students understand the costs of attending school in the US.
    • Student must pass the course with 100% and upload a financial budget which must be approved by International Services before being issued an I-20.
Apply for an I-20 here.

I-901 SEVIS Fee

International students who have been issued an Initial Form I-20 are required to pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee before being issued a visa. Canadian students are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before crossing into the US. The I-901 SEVIS fee is currently $350 for F-1 students and is non-refundable.

This can be paid at the SEVIS Fee website:

Students with a country of birth or citizenship of Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, or Nigeria must pay by money order, Western Union Quick Pay or certified check drawn from a U.S. bank. All other prospective F students have the option to make a credit card payment on

  • SEVP will accept third party payments, meaning someone else can pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. For students who cannot pay the fee by credit card, third party payers are also restricted from paying the fee by credit card.
  • Visit SEVP's website for instructions on how to complete the Western Union Quick Pay/Quick Collect form.
  • You can access the PDF version of the SEVIS Form I-901 on SEVP's website. Print and mail in your paper SEVIS Form I-901 with your check or money order, according to the instructions on the form.

Once the I-901 SEVIS Fee is paid, students should print a copy of the receipt to take to their visa interview.

Visa Application Process

International students (not including Canadians) must apply for a student visa to study in the US. BYU-I gives supporting documents for F-1 (I-20) and J-1 (DS-2019) students. The F-1 visa allows students to enter the US as a full-time student at an accredited university. The J-1 visa allows scholars and exchange visitors to obtain training within the US.

Students should not apply or make an appointment for a student visa without the Form I-20. F-1 visas will not be issued without a Form I-20 or paying the SEVIS fee. Here is information about applying for a visa and how to find the US embassy or consulate closest to you.

Visa application tips:

1. Be sure to have strong ties to home country.

2. Practice your English and plan for the interview to be conducted in English.

3. Do not bring others with you to your interview, speak for yourself.

4. Be familiar with your program of study and how it applies to your future career plans when you return home.

5. Be brief and to the point.

6. Remember your purpose for coming to the US is to study, not to work.

7. Additional documents should be clear and easily evaluated.

8. Have a positive attitude