On April 16, 2012, Dr. Dee Fink visited BYU-Idaho to share some of his insights on teaching by addressing the topic of "Improving Myself as a Teacher." Dr. Fink is the author of the book Creating Significant Learning Experiences and is a highly regarded instructional consultant. He was the founding director of the Instructional Development Program at the University of Oklahoma, and has led workshops at conferences and campuses in the US, Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, and Asia.
BYU-Idaho received permission from Dr. Fink to share his presentation. The workshop has been divided into sections for easier viewing. Additional resources are hyperlinked below the video player.
Workshop: Transformative Practices
- Annotated Bibliography on Major Ideas in Teaching
- Teaching Metacognitive Learning Strategies
- Priming Students for Self-Directed Learning
- Video "Getting students to re-think why they are in college"
- Self-Directed Guide on Designing Courses
- Writing Good Learning Goals
- Learning-Centered Course Design Diagram
- Additional resources at www.designlearning.org