Before you install VDI, please note the following assumptions are made:
- You know how to use your computer and are a System Administrator on your computer. This includes being able to adjust settings and preferences, download and install software, and operate the basic functions of your computer
- Your computer meets the I-learn Computer Standards. The university does not offer support for Linux. There may be individuals at the Help Desk who are fluent in Linux and able to help you, but there may not be. If you are a remote student away from campus, we have no support for operating systems other than Windows and Mac.
If you need assistance, please call the BYU-Idaho Support Center at (208) 496-1411. They will either walk you through the install, or schedule a time for you to meet with a Technology Support Student Technician. At the beginning of the semester they may direct you to a walk-up help desk.
If you are using Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you will need to update your operating system to OS X 10.6.8 for VMware to work on your computer.
Download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection 2.1.1 software here.
- Install this file. If you get an alert saying "The software cannot be installed because it is from an unidentified developer", go to "Applications" then to "System Preferences", and then open "Security & Privacy". Make sure the pane is unlocked and select the radio button to allow apps downloaded from anywhere. Close the panel.
- Go to https://vdiview.byui.edu/ and select "Install VMware Horizon Client."
- Select which client version you need for your operating system. Remember, If your Mac operating system is 10.6.7 or earlier, it is incompatible with VDI. Stop here until you can upgrade.
- Download and save the correct version. Double click the install file, and agree to the license terms.
- After installation, open the application. If you get a warning asking if you are sure you want to open the file, select "Open".
- Click "Continue" to Start Remote Printing services, and when prompted for admin credentials, put in your administrative username and password.
- Enter VDIView.byui.edu for the connection server name, and click "Connect".
- Enter your campus username and credentials. You should be able to see all the pools you are entitled to use. Select the desired pool by double clicking.
NOTE: If you get an alert stating "This desktop does not support the requested display", you do not have the required Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection software installed. Refer to the first section on installing the Remote Desktop Connection software, then launch the VDI client software again.