OneDrive for Business FAQs
What is the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business?
- OneDrive is free online personal storage that you get with either a Microsoft account or with outlook.com.
- OneDrive for Business is online storage intended for business purposes.
- Your OneDrive for Business account is managed by your organization, rather than by you. Additionally, your OneDrive for Business account can only be accessed with your BYU-Idaho credentials. You must have authorization to do so.
Why won’t my document save to OneDrive?
Documents will not save to OneDrive if:
- The name contains special characters like ~, “, #, &, %, and more.
- The file name is longer than 250 characters.
- The file name begins with a period (.) or a tilde (~).
- The file is in an unsupported format such as “.tmp” or “.ds_store.”
- The file is too big or there is not enough room left on the drive to store it.
What information should I enter into the User ID field?
You should enter your BYU-Idaho username plus byui.edu; email@example.com. Do not use your BYU-Idaho e-mail address.
Should I choose the Microsoft Account or the Work account?
Always choose the Work Account if you are using OneDrive for Business.
Is OneDrive a secure place to store content?
Yes, because OneDrive is secured by your BYU-Idaho credentials and therefore protected and private information.
Is OneDrive encrypted?
Yes; your data is encrypted both on the servers and in transit. Also, threat management, security monitoring, and file/data integrity prevents or detects any tampering of data.
Can I back up my entire system to OneDrive?
No; OneDrive is not a suitable option for backing up systems.
How do I know how much space has been used on my OneDrive account?
In the OneDrive desktop app:
- Right-click the blue clouds in your system tray.
- Select Manage Storage.
- Select View OneDrive for Business storage.
In the OneDrive web app:
- Select the gear icon in the top-right corner.
- Select Site Settings.
- Select Storage Metrics.
Is there a file size limit?
The current file size limit is 2 GB per file. The entire drive’s limit is 1 TB.
Why is OneDrive not letting me attach a file?
If you get an error when you try to attach a file, close out of OneDrive and try the following:
- Reopen the OneDrive app by select the “waffle” icon, or the shape with small squares covering the icon, in the top-left corner and selecting the OneDrive.
- If OneDrive has not yet been initialized, it will open with a screen that says Welcome. If this occurs, select Next.
- OneDrive will now initialize.
Is this a good spot for collaboration and sharing?
The answer is no, for many reasons. SharePoint will be a better option for that.
How do I get help with OneDrive?
Contact the BYU-Idaho Support Center (BSC) at (208) 496-1411.