This tutorial will guide you through asking for and/or setting up a shared email account for your department. Before you request a new @byui.edu address, please use the chart below to determine whether a shared mailbox, a distribution list, or an Office 365 Group will best fit your needs.
|Shared Mailbox||Distribution List||Office 365 Group|
|Multiple Recipients||No/Multiple Users||Yes||Yes|
|Creation/Management||IT Required||IT Required||Self-Service|
|Searchable History and Context||Yes||No||Yes|
|Public By Default||Yes||No||Yes|
To request a new department mailbox:
To request a new department mailbox, fill out the Mailbox Request Form.
To access a department mailbox:
Have your supervisor give you the appropriate role and permissions within the Role Manager. Please note that these requested changes may take up to 3 hours.
Outlook Web Access
- Select the Email tab after signing in at http://my.byui.edu.
- Select your user profile icon in the top-right corner of the window.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Open another mailbox...
- Enter the department email address.
Outlook Desktop Client
If opening Outlook for the first time:
- When opening Outlook for the first time, you'll be prompted to enter the email you wish to use. Enter firstname.lastname@example.org and select Next.
- After about 30 seconds, a dialog box will pop-up. When prompted to enter credentials, enter email@example.com and your password. Don't forget to check the box that says Remember my credentials before selecting OK or hitting Enter on your keyboard.
If you already have an account in Outlook, but want to add a second account/email:
- Select the File menu.
- Select Add Account.
- Enter the address of the account you want to access in the second field (skipping the first Name field and the 3rd and 4th Password fields), then select Next.
- After about 30 seconds, a dialog box will pop-up. When prompted to enter credentials, enter firstname.lastname@example.org and your password. Don't forget to check the box that says Remember my credentials before selecting OK or selecting Enter on your keyboard.
In order to access a department email on your mobile device, you'll need to input the mailbox URL directly into your browser. Use https://email@example.com (where mailbox is the actual name of the mailbox you're trying to access.)
NOTE: Department email cannot be accessed through mobile email clients such as iOS Mail or Outlook.