Instructions: Following the Learning Model
- Prepare: Spend at least 15-20 minutes studying the information listed below.
- Teach One Another: Spend 5-10 minutes teaching the associated principle to an individual or group.
- Ponder and Prove: Reflect on each principle, make plans, and set goals to improve.
Joy is a condition of great happiness coming from righteous living. The purpose of mortal life is for all people to have joy. A full joy will come only through Jesus Christ. (“Joy,” Guide to the Scriptures, lds.org)
- What is joy (in both a spiritual and secular sense)?
- What have prophets and apostles taught us about joy?
- How can we have joy and happiness in our lives?
- What does it mean to “generate” joy and how is it done?
“When we are happy—when our mindset and mood are positive—we are smarter, more motivated, and thus more successful. Happiness is the center, and success revolves around it.” – Shawn Achor
“Most people believe our happiness can only be the response to a certain stimulus…people think that a stimulus will lead to a response of happiness…If they have the proper stimulus, they believe, then their response will be happiness.
But what if the opposite is true? What if happiness is the stimulus and the response is whatever life brings from that happiness?” –Art Berg
“You don’t have joy; you choose intentionally to generate it. Just like you don’t have happiness, you generate happiness by the way that you think the way that you behave, the life that you construct.” – Brendon Burchard
“One positive thought in the morning can change your entire day.” – Zig Ziglar
“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it.” – Prophet Joseph Smith
“I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.” – President Gordon B. Hinckley
“Whoever you are and wherever you may be, you hold in your hands the happiness of more people than you can imagine.” – Henry B. Eyring
“Try and keep on trying until that which seems difficult becomes possible, and that which seems only possible becomes a habit and a real part of you.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “Happiness, Your Heritage” by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “Joy and Spiritual Survival” by President Russell M. Nelson
- “Joy and Happiness” by President Marion G. Romney
- “The Spirit of Optimism” by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- “10 Ways to Live Happily Ever After Now” by Dani DiPirro of PositivelyPresent
- “14 Ways to Harness the Power of Enthusiasm” by Marelisa, from DaringToLiveFully.com
- “How to Become an Optimist in 21 Days” by Shawn Achor
- “Rewire Your Brain for Positivity and Happiness Using the Tetris Effect” by Walter Chen
- “The Science Behind the Joy of Sharing Joy” by Emma M. Seppala, PhD
- “The Way to Happiness: 7 Happiness Principles” by author J.D. Meier
- “What Are the Top 10 Positive Emotions?” by Kari Henley
- Brendon Burchard’s podcast “How to Bring the Joy to Every Situation”
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations – Shawn Achor, Part 1: The Secrets of Happy People
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations – Shawn Achor, Part 2: How to Find Happiness in Today’s World
- Shawn Achor’s TED Talk “The Happiness Secret to Better Work”
- Before Happiness by Shawn Achor
- The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
- The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard
- The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
- You Can Be Happy No Matter What by Richard Carlson, PhD